Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my daughter Lily her first car- a 2006 Grand Vitara, 128Kmi. Seems to be in perfect shape and Lily loves it, but engine is noisy. Wanted to have an experienced Suzuki guy do overall engine/drive train health assessment.

Does anyone have a mechanic recommendation in the Denver area? (We live in Lakewood, CO, near Red Rocks).

Is a noisy engine normal? (Was wondering if cam chain tensioner may need replacement)

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,520 Posts
Why dont you tell us which engine you have...??

·
Registered
816 Posts
There has been a lot written in this forum on the 2.7L V6 valve adjustment. There is a sticky post on the front page. Also a recent post about noisy valves and the difficulty in adjusting them:

I included the pages from the manual on adjusting in the linked post. It is not easy, that is why it is never done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks annfan! I much appreciate the .pdf in your linked post, and will plan to do valve adj next month. BTW, the Suzuki tool quoted in the procedure is unobtanium. There is a post on this forum about an alternate tool from Suzuki Marine, much easier to use, and its ~$175-450 on ebay. BUT- I found what seems to be an identical tool from OMC Outboard. Its about $50 and seems to be identical to the Suzuki Marine tool. I wrote up a post on this find this morning (see 09916–66510 ).

Jeff
Lakewood, CO
06 Grand Vitara AWD/4WD 2.7L automatic, 128Kmi

·
Registered
816 Posts
Jeff, good find on the OMC Outboard special tool, thanks for sharing. Before you dive in and check the valve adjustment you might want to make sure that is in fact the issue. My sugguestion that the valves were loose is only an educated guess, I haven't heard the engine. Getting to the valves to check the clearances is a big, complicated job. Changing the shims is also not for the faint of heart. You also need access to a supply of shims, there are 34 different thickness used, depending on need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts