Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 86 soft top sammi. i was looking to get something to stop the wind from coming in in the front of the soft top. i came a cross a samurai that has a wind visor on the top right above the windshield, any one know where i can buy one?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Interesting work. Have you done anything else on the foam idea?
Been considering making something similar to the Rally Sport 2 piece top, $900 is a bit much.
The foam board idea doesn't work very well due to clearance problems with the roll bar, unless you were going to only use it to make a mold. By the time you go to all that much trouble, the $900 doesn't look too bad.

Another problem is the back window. There is not anything that you can purchase that will fit except for clear vinyl or plexiglass that you cut to fit. Was hoping to find a sliding window like those found in pickups or RVs, but nothing was available that was small enough.

Since the Rampage top with the zip-out rear windows came out after I cut up my full Bestop top to make a half-top, have wondered what would be needed to make it into a half-top. Surely it would be easier to modify than what I went through.

These trucks have been around for 25 years now and if there was an easy & cheap way to do this, we would have found it be now. I don't have the skills or tools to do much of anything, but do keep throwing ideas out there in the the hope that someone with the skills might.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, saw your comment on the back window at the album.
I like the idea of a bigger window...

I guess they used to make them like that.
Used to own one, so it occurred to me it might be possible to use an Astro Van popout side window - or at least the hardware w/ plexiglas.

I've had many tops on mine since 89', just took the fastback off because the back shield cracked and the zippers screwed.. Still got an almost new full top, but I'm tired of the flapping. I've got the tools - just often lack the will.
Speaking of cheap, gotta a fridge cardboard box out in the garage. :eek:

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you want to reduce the flapping and don't need to fold up the top when removed, here is what I did with my top.

You will need the following:

Insul-Bright insulating cloth at Joann.com
Black vinyl or any color that you can find on clearance
Contact cement (Weldwood original)

On a warm day in the shade, remove the top and stretch it out as smooth as possible. Might want to make a rig and used bungee cords to keep it taut. Cut the insul-bright and vinyl to cover the flat part of the roof area. I did this in sections so that if I did screw up applying the insul-bright, it would be in a smaller area.

Then brush on 2 coats of the contact cement on the top and the insul-bright following the directions. Then place the insul-bright on the top. Be very careful here to make sure that you get it lined up correctly the first time as the contact cement is called this for a reason.

Then do the 2 coats on the insul-bright that you just attached to the top and to the vinyl, and mate them together. Now let it cure overnight and you will have an insulated top that will not flap.

Did this on my half-top and another bikini top and it worked great. The insul-bright has a foil center and the shiny side needs to face the direction you want to reflect the heat. The caveat on this is that the top will no longer fold up into a nice package any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts