Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing my rear axle bearings, oil seals, and installing a mini spool. To do this I had to remove the axles. I kicked, smacked, wedged, hammered, cussed, and repeated several times with and without the wheel on trying to get the axle out. It would not budge.

I was going to buy a slide hammer and then remembered that AutoZone loans tools. You have to "buy" the loaner tool but you get a full refund when you bring it back. I got the slide hammer and with 2 or 3 whacks the axles came right out in seconds. So save yourself the grief and borrow a slide hammer if you have to pull yours out. Maybe some are easier than others but mine would not budge until I used the slide hammer.

They rent two different ones. One is just the slide hammer and the other is a slide hammer kit with claws. You want the one with claws so you can grab on the end to pull it out. If you reverse the claws it also works great to extract the oil seals.

Here is link to info on loaner tools:

Loan-A-Tool® Program | In Our Stores | AutoZone.com

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was going to buy a slide hammer and then remembered that AutoZone loans tools. You have to "buy" the loaner tool but you get a full refund when you bring it back.
I've used, and broken, many an Autozone loaner. Very nice program they have...

Did you ever try loosely mounting the wheel on the axle, with the lug nuts only threaded part way on, and then pulling the wheel back and forth like a big slide hammer?

I've heard that works well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts