Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I have seen it on a few rigs on the trails here. It doesn't show dents as bad as a shiney surface, but scratch off a hunk on a rock and isn't gonna be an easy 'touchup'.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it not bond well over the existing paint? I have a competing product in my truck bed and it has been pretty indestructible--but puting it on the exterior may be a different story.

Any better suggestions for the toughest, most scratch/scrape resistant paint available???

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Forgot to mention that most of the trails here are pretty hard core rock crawling trails... Ever done a trail where the 'line' is to rest your roll cage on the side of the rock to 'slide' up a ledge? You can just imagine what the rocks can do to panels - much less paint.;)

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case, I am going through thick, woody brush and slash. The awful sound of branches scraping against the paint provides only a hint of the actual damage to the paint.

What's left of my original paint won't stand a chance. I am trying to find the most bombproof solution.

Ever hear of a paint called Dupont Imron? It's a polyurethane enamel that is supposed to be pretty tough.

Thanks again, Bill.
Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Imron is stout. But to be honest (we have harsh desert scrub here too) I would find a decent spray can paint and use that. Then put a couple of cans in the parts box in the back. I do this with satin black for the skid plates and fenders. I give them a quick spray before a trail and then go back to see what got the most damage afterwards. This shows me where I need to beef up the skids, or adjust the driving.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Painting with bed liner will protect from branches and twigs. It won't save you from rocks or stumps. If you hit the rocks a lot then best thing is the cheapest paint that you can apply. Then when you scrape off an area of it while off roading, you can just paint it up quick so you don't rust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm prepping one of my Samis for Rustoleum Roll On Do It Yourself Bedliner on the interior and lower exterior. Have seen roll and spray on bedliner used as exterior paint on vehicles and motorcycles for a few years now. Some jobs have held up very well. Prep good. Work with a piece of metal to learn how to get the surface texture you want.

Cool thing about rough bedliner. You can let it get real hard, spray color over it, then wet sand real fine and light to remove the high spots and have a cool two color speckled paint job.

Generally, I'm a satin black to flat black guy. Motorcycles come in two colors, black and all those sissy colors.

Imron is awesome paint. Used it on my Camaro and couple Harleys. Have used Imron since the 70's on hot rods. Tough paint. Do not handle yourself. Have professionals spray Imron.

Doc

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm going to rhino line my tin top roof, and around all 3 back windows, in gray so it matches the interior. I have already rhino lined the inside of my tintop from the floors all the way up to the headliner in graphite gray metallic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts