Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 stock Samurai that needs a limited slip diff. Finding one built for the Samauri axle seems next to impossible. I do not need a locker.

Has anyone used an 8" ford axle on the samauri rear end? There are limited slip diffs and the samauri stock axle ratios available for these diffs. Someone told me about someone (you know the story) that uses these rear ends for race cars and did set one up for a Samauri. I believe he even offset the diff to match the existing axle.

How reasonable does this sound? I believe the price would be about the same as using a toyota axle, assuming you would still have to buy the LSD for the toyota.

Opinions, options, experience, and devil's advocate, sound off. Please.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
finding a factory samurai LSD is next to impossible. A few years back, a bunch of people were selling them. Now there are a couple aftermarket companys that are working on a samurai LSD. Powertrax (makers of the lockrite) has one and KAM was developing one.. don't know if they ever came out with it. The aftermarket ones install in an open diff housing only. You can't install them in a housing built for the stock samurai LSD.

There are a ton of different axels runing under samurai's out there. Unless you absolutely need one (running over a 35" tire, or have a ultra low geared rock crawler) then stay with the samurai axels. They are light and have a lot more clearance than any other axel you will find on the market. With the Samurai's small engine and lack of power, you need to save any weight you can.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I think that if you have your heart set on an LSD, then the Ford option is doable. Remember the offset, so there is some fabbing ahead. And yes, you can find ratios that will match the Suzuki stock equipment. The Toy stuff is comparable, and closer to fitting (less fab on the housing). Another option is the Ford 9". Spidertrax swears by them, even for their Samurai applications.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Baratacus and Billjohn

I think that if you have your heart set on an LSD, then the Ford option is doable. Remember the offset, so there is some fabbing ahead. And yes, you can find ratios that will match the Suzuki stock equipment. The Toy stuff is comparable, and closer to fitting (less fab on the housing). Another option is the Ford 9". Spidertrax swears by them, even for their Samurai applications.
It looks like the ford 8.8" is the only one with 3.73 ratio to match the samauri. The 2002 ranger (8.8) also has a Torsen LSD which uses gears rather than disks. I havn't found a toyota 3.73 ratio, it would be an easier fit.
I am concerned about the physical size and weight of the 8.8", as Baratacus points out.
I will know a lot more about this stuff in the next month or so.
Thanks again
Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rodisusprime

There are several sites still advertising these rearends. It looks like they would get tired of telling people it is not for sale now.
There is a lot of info on various rearends on the internet, I am looking at a lot of options, non of which are a direct install.
Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about an early jeep with the dana 44 rear end they are offset to the passengerside might be able to find one at j&w wrecker in antelope, ca. you can get a gear set for it if need be too

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive got a pair of 93 hilux diffs underneath my suzuki, theyre a little over sized, but they offer a great ratio, and will destroy anything i throw at them in the bush, without the lockers :D havent regretted them yet, and ive recommended them to a few mates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts