Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Suzuki fans I have a 05 frenzy 5 speed Manuel, shes got 217,830 miles now oil changed every 4000 miles runs like new have a small problem, maybe u can help me with. The brake lights have decided to stay on. I thought bad switch replaced and still they remain on.I know sound like a short but ?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My driver side tail and break lights went off last night. I assume there is a short in the sockets as I see burned and melted plastic but the fuse did not blow. Can't find the light sockets to replace them. HELP

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you go to eBay motors and enter your vehicle details, you can probably find your sockets there (I'm looking for a few things myself, and saw those come up first when I did a sort by price, ascending.)

I just went through and changed rear lamps on our 2005 Verona a few weeks ago, and I recall that they were all pretty standard 1156/1157 or 2356/2357 bulbs, which should make finding the sockets pretty easy. You'll just have to splice them in, which only takes a few minuets anyhow.

HTH, YMMV, TANSTAAFL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks! I found the parts and ordered them. Are the top two bulbs 1157? that's what I put in and then this problem started. Its a shame this car has soooo much planned obsolesce because its hard to find another car that 1 - has the turning radius and 2 has the room for the driver and passenger. and really back seat too. All of the plastic on y 2005 is starting to just fall off the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe so, but don't hold me to it. The difference between 1156 & 2356 (and 1157/2357) is that the 2356/2357 bulbs are somewhat brighter.

The difference between 1156/2356 and 1157/2357 is that the former are single-filament bulbs, the latter are dual-filament. This is readily apparent by examining the bottom end of the bulb - the 1156/2356 will have a single "button" on the very bottom and the retaining lugs will be even with each other, the 1157/2357 will have two "buttons" on the bottom, and the lugs will be offset from each other.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well...no love...first the socket don't seem to be correct...the wires are not copper they are silver and they have 4 lugs instead of 3. I shaved one of the lugs off so I could at least see if the sockets had something to do with the problem. NO. same issue...I have brake lights but no tail lights when the headlights are turned on. I am assuming the single green wire on the original socket is the ground wire. there is some type of junction where the wires for the sockets originate. do you think that could be shorted? I could not figure out how to release it from the bracket or detach the wires. I will post pictures of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Curious.

For the colour issue - it is relatively common to use "tinned" (tin-plated copper) wiring in automotive applications, which will give a silver exterior colour to the conductor (vice cheap Chinese wire being CCA - copper-clad aluminum - which will /look/ like copper wire, but will be "silver" at the core when it is cut.)

Pictures would help, tho - I don't have my manual to hand (I probably need to get another one - long story...) and I'm not as familiar with the internals of this vehicle as I am with AMC and Jeep...

·
Registered
27 Posts
went to take the pic and figured out how to disconnect. There is a push-in release on the bottom of this...the connector didn't have any burns or melting ...whats my next step..take the trunk apart to see where the wires come from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you happen to take a picture of the bulb socket end? It is common for field replacement lamp sockets to be supplied unterminated - you'd splice your OEM plug onto the stripped wires for the replacement socket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can get a pic for you..the OEM had green blue and black wires with the green separate from the other two...assumed this to be GND...the new cables were red blue and black with black separated..used black as ground. After thinking of the sequence of events I think it's the brake light switch. I pressed the brake to start the car one day and all the console lights came on...I stopped and started the car a couple of times and it stopped doing it...but later I found a bulb out..I replaced it and the other blew..when I went to replace it I found the burned sockets

·
Registered
27 Posts
By chance I got off work early today and just happened to be behind a pickup truck with a real chrome bumper. In stop and go traffic I saw my front driver's side turn signal come on every time I pressed the brake! So it does have something to do with the brake light switch - in any event that's whats being replaced next. I took pics and will post them of the way I have it wired and the sockets just in case.

Thanks for your help - please stand by!

·
Registered
15 Posts
By chance I got off work early today and just happened to be behind a pickup truck with a real chrome bumper. In stop and go traffic I saw my front driver's side turn signal come on every time I pressed the brake! So it does have something to do with the brake light switch - in any event that's whats being replaced next. I took pics and will post them of the way I have it wired and the sockets just in case.

Thanks for your help - please stand by!
Cool.

You just reminded me, I've got to get another copy of the FSM for Kuki. Lost the one I had when our storage got sold (since when is over $1/sq ft justifiable for storage space?!?) so I'm working off of whatever I can keep in my hat.

(Also reminded me, I'll be bending up replacement spring clips for the headlamps this week-end. Lost one, and can't buy a replacement alone. I am NOT going to fork over $150 or so to replace a single little spring wire - so I've got a roll of music wire. Anyone else need any? Couldn't buy less than a quarter-pound - when you're dealing with 0.055" wire, that's a fair bit...)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have finally resolved this issue. I retraced my steps as to all that was going on when the issue started. Checked the fuses..nothing blown...then removed the headlight again as I had changed a bulb there - which would also let me check the path of wires to the fuse box. Found the side lamp bulb was not only out of the socket but a portion of the socket had broken off and exposed a section of copper connector. Because of the slack in the cable the loose socket had swung onto an extension from the fender and hung there - shorting out the circuit. I put electrical tape around the exposed copper and put the bulb and socket back in place. I tested the lights and they still didn't work - but the headlight was still out...After replacing everything I went thru ALL the fuses one by one and found a fuse out that I felt should have had nothing to do with the lights. Anyway..all is well light wise but my car will NOT go into reverse. If its not one thing its another with this car.

Thanks for your help JD kelley

·
Registered
15 Posts
BZ - Glad you got it sorted! It's amazing how many electrical problems are solved by a visual inspection.

As far as the not going into reverse bit? I'm afraid I can't help you there - I don't know enough about JATCO slushboxen off the top of my head...

So, which fuse WAS blown, anyhow?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts