Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. Tom from 360 dynamics needs 10 people to put 50% down and he will start the production, once he gets 10 people it will only take two weeks....
Go here to add your name to the list:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17284#17284

For more information about the pulley and a dyno graph go here:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1900

Go to page 2 for the dyno graph... results showed as much as a 22.8bhp increase @ 6300 rpms with an avg gain of 8bhp!! Its only something like $160usd which is a great deal. Think about it, a CAI is like $100 and might give you 5bhp

Im trying to get people to put down the 50% to get the ball rolling becuase i want to try to have it installed on my car by the end of the month before my next race.

Dan

Oh and Tom I hope you dont mind me posting this

·
Registered
353 Posts
I bought a UD pulley for my Aerio...after having purchased a AEM CAI and exhaust. I got more power as well as other benifits thatn my intake and exhaust combined at half the price...Id highly recommend this mod, and makes a great first mod...goes almost undetected when going in for warranty repairs and such.

The one thing I would ask though is...does this pulley come with a new belt?

And Id also like to know, will this work on other Woos as well?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It seems like I've been waiting ages for a (since nov 2004) for an aftermarket upgrade worth purchasing for the optra and the reno and lacetti for that matter.

I don't know if I've bought a car not worth the attention of the aftermarket or if a mod is in research and on the way.

does anyone have any clue as to when a super chip or CAI or catback exhaust might be available?? I see bolt ons for many other cars, but as for mod on my car I can't find any. Just time and money consuming customs crap.

Wake-up call for the afternarket!!!!!! I'm here and I want something, my money is waiting for you.

As for the UD Pulley. What effects would it have on the normal operation of a car? any reliability or accessory issues??

I have a 2004 Chevy Optra 5 LS.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by ShortBuSX@Mar 11 2005, 10:51 PM
The one thing I would ask though is...does this pulley come with a new belt?
Yes it does come with a belt...

And for reliability issues and such.. there arnt any. If you have a big stereo like mine you may not want to do this mod but even with it i should be able to run my stereo full blast fine still.

Its not very hard to build a CAI, same with an exhaust... all i did with the exhuast is replace the muffler with a more straight through one and replaced the resonator with a straight pipe.. i dont think id get much more power out of a full cat-back exhaust

·
Registered
39 Posts
The CAIs I have seen have been homemade. Hopefully that will be a future 360 project as well. I also signed up on K&N's website and sent a request for them to consider the Suzuki Reno for future products.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by RoseAshe@Mar 14 2005, 07:44 AM
The CAIs I have seen have been homemade. Hopefully that will be a future 360 project as well. I also signed up on K&N's website and sent a request for them to consider the Suzuki Reno for future products.
360 does have a CAI but they cant find the right bend to start selling it or something.. i dont remember. They have a dyno graph on daewootech about it htough

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by Shenanigans@Mar 12 2005, 07:16 PM
As for the UD Pulley. What effects would it have on the normal operation of a car? any reliability or accessory issues??
There are no reported problems whatsoever on the test vehicle. It is a straight bolt-on, and does come with a new belt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by kinkyllama@Mar 11 2005, 10:40 AM
Go to page 2 for the dyno graph... results showed as much as a 22.8bhp increase @ 6300 rpms with an avg gain of 8bhp!!
22hp?! The typical parasitic load from the accessories driven by the belt (A/C off and a fully charged battery) is a couple of horsepower max. . . and under full throttle A/C is always off. Driving the accessories slower can't possibly give back more than a fraction of this. Somebody is either giving out bad information or performing the test under unrealistic conditions. . . Plus, A/C performance and alternator output will suffer, as will power steering at lower engine speeds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
All the tests were performed on our Dynojet Model 248 Chassis Dyno, which is an industry standard dyno. We had this pulley installed on our test base for the last 5 months for testing. Power steering is not affected in any way. There seemed to be no A/C problems either. With regards to the alternator output, we pulled 70 amps at idle, and 120 amps at 2000 rpm - well within the factory specs. There are no dimming lights, voltage drops or anything like that on idle with all the electrical accesories on.

Below is the graph comparing Optra 5 (canadian version of Reno / Forenza) with and without the UD pulley:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by 360 Dynamics@May 19 2005, 10:11 AM
All the tests were performed on our Dynojet Model 248 Chassis Dyno, which is an industry standard dyno. We had this pulley installed on our test base for the last 5 months for testing. Power steering is not affected in any way. There seemed to be no A/C problems either. With regards to the alternator output, we pulled 70 amps at idle, and 120 amps at 2000 rpm - well within the factory specs. There are no dimming lights, voltage drops or anything like that on idle with all the electrical accesories on.
g[/img]
OK, maybe there is enough reserve in the power steering and alternator to perform adequately at the reduced speed. That's a credit to the design. I can also believe that the A/C wasn't too bad . . . in Canada. But it's not the strongest system out there, so I suspect it could be a problem in a more southern climate . . .like waiting in Dallas traffic . . ..

I can almost believe the 4+ peak horsepower difference but the 22 HP difference at 6200 rpm seems like a real stretch. If that little serpentine belt was carrying 22 horsepower I think it would go up in smoke.

Were the tests performed on the same day at the same barometric pressure and temperature, using the same fuel? Was there anything else done to the car between tests that might influence the results? Were the tests run at the exact same conditions regarding which accessories were turned on, etc? It would be very easy for something other than the pulley to have influenced the tests . . . Like testing the stock pulley on a hot afternoon and testing the UD pulley the next morning when it was cool . . . or running one test just after starting the engine and another after it was fully warmed up . . . removing the air filter, etc. Any one of those things could have significantly influenced the overall result.

I used to be an engineer for an engine manufacturer and spent a bit of time around the dynos. We didn't make up the numbers, but you'd better believe that when we were running comparison tests for marketing, we made sure that they were done under the most favorable conditions.

I also noticed that the stock pulley seemed to perform BETTER below 3500 rpm. This seems counter-intuitive. There should have been reduced drag throughout the test. Maybe there is something you overlooked . . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by kinkyllama@May 19 2005, 02:38 PM
The persons car who was on the dyno is an engineer and they both know a good deal about cars so i would bet that they made it as fair as possible. But ill let everyone know how the pulley works with AC and a big stereo system in about a week when i get mine!!
I'm sure it will make a measurable difference in the power output, even below 3500 rpm, but how apparent will be in the real world, I don't know know. I was just pointing out some issues with the dyno results. I think the guys at 360 Dynamics are pretty reputable, so the quality should be OK. I hope you're happy with it.

Keep in mind, however, that whenever somebody wants to sell you something, however honest they may be, they . . . well . . . want to sell you something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rev320 => The dyno testing was performed on the very same day, about 30 minutes after vehicle was tested with the stock pulley. We did 3 runs with each pulley to ensure consistency. The vehicle was re-tested about 3 months later to ensure results are identical.

We cannot comment about the A/C operation, it only about 22C here - about 72F, but from what we understand, it is operating properly.

Dog => the gains are coming from operating the accessories at lower RPM. The alternator is operating properly (charging the battery) with all the accessories on at idle. We pulled 70 Amp at idle. There was no dimming of lights or anything that could cause issues with the charging system.

Look at out website for more information on this pulley.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by 360 Dynamics@May 22 2005, 10:23 PM
Rev320 => The dyno testing was performed on the very same day, about 30 minutes after vehicle was tested with the stock pulley. We did 3 runs with each pulley to ensure consistency. The vehicle was re-tested about 3 months later to ensure results are identical.

If the dyno tests are valid, how do you account for the LOWER horsepower below 3,500 rpm using the under drive pulley?

It looks like one set of the curves is shifted horizontally. This wouldn't affect the peak horsepower reading, but would explain the difference below 3,500 and the big difference near the red line where the curves get steep.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts