Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new in this forum and I have a doubt. I have a 96 Vitara and I want to lift it but the problem is that I don't have a lot of money to spend. Do you recommend a suspension pvc kit or do I save for a nice suspension, and what suspension for a low price do you recommend. And I want to upgrade the stock tires to a off road one which size do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
Is this a want or a need? If it's a want I would say save your pennies until you can afford what you want. If it's a need you can take a look at Low Range Off Road's budget spacer lifts.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
There is no such thing as a good cheap lift kit, you pay for what you get. Save your money and buy a good quality kit, it will last longer and the ride will usually be better too

·
Super Moderator
25,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I suppose I should ask why you want to do a lift. You seem to indicate that you want to go off-road. The stock Vitara can take 225/75’s with no lift, and possibly even the 235/75’s. Do you use your car as a daily driver? Note that lifts will change the center of gravity, which will affect the way the car handles on curves in the road. Heavier tires will affect the acceleration. While lifts are certainly nice looking, and the car does look good with lifts, big tires, etc., off road clearance is basically determined by your axles, which only rise according to the size of the tires you have. So again, my original question - why do you want to lift the vehicle??? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum. I suppose I should ask why you want to do a lift. You seem to indicate that you want to go off-road. The stock Vitara can take 225/75’s with no lift, and possibly even the 235/75’s. Do you use your car as a daily driver? Note that lifts will change the center of gravity, which will affect the way the car handles on curves in the road. Heavier tires will affect the acceleration. While lifts are certainly nice looking, and the car does look good with lifts, big tires, etc., off road clearance is basically determined by your axles, which only rise according to the size of the tires you have. So again, my original question - why do you want to lift the vehicle??? :)
Thank you for your answer! I am 18 yo so yes it will be may daily driver for a few time, so what I want to do is light to medium level off roading.

·
Super Moderator
25,289 Posts
I don’t know how long you’ve had this vehicle - is it new to you? If so, my recommendation - and understand that I am saying this as an ‘older‘ person - is to get the engine in good shape - properly timed and tuned, etc., and take it out for some light to medium off-roading while using it as your daily driver. You may be surprised at how well the vehicle handles light off-roading, with no mods whatsoever. Serious rock crawling may be a different issue, but again, remember that your clearance is basically dictated by the size of the tires. Part of the reason for lifting a vehicle - as the axles themselves are not lifted - is for visibility - to see what is coming ahead in off-road conditions. In the meantime, you can save up for a well designed lift, if you still decide you wish to do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t know how long you’ve had this vehicle - is it new to you? If so, my recommendation - and understand that I am saying this as an ‘older‘ person - is to get the engine in good shape - properly timed and tuned, etc., and take it out for some light to medium off-roading while using it as your daily driver. You may be surprised at how well the vehicle handles light off-roading, with no mods whatsoever. Serious rock crawling may be a different issue, but again, remember that your clearance is basically dictated by the size of the tires. Part of the reason for lifting a vehicle - as the axles themselves are not lifted - is for visibility - to see what is coming ahead in off-road conditions. In the meantime, you can save up for a well designed lift, if you still decide you wish to do that.
Thank you man the car is new to me, have it for one year now, but it belonged to a cousin. Now the car must be at the mechanic checking the engine, suspension, drivetrain and all of that. After that I will probably fit it with new tires, probably some ATs, and then I will think to lift it. The main reason I wanted to lift it was because of looks, the Vitara is a tiny car, so I was thinking of buying a 2 or 3'' pvc suspension lift

·
Super Moderator
15,802 Posts
As a daily driver with light off roading, I suggest you fit some slightly larger AT pattern (all terrain) tires, Bex can suggest a suitable size and then drive it and see how it works for you. Don't go with a cheap lift just for the sake of lifting it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a daily driver with light off roading, I suggest you fit some slightly larger AT pattern (all terrain) tires, Bex can suggest a suitable size and then drive it and see how it works for you. Don't go with a cheap lift just for the sake of lifting it.
thank you

·
Super Moderator
25,289 Posts
The original 4wd cars came with 205/75/15. Presumably Suzuki engineers ascertained that this was the proper size for good mpg, handling, etc.
You can safely put 225/75/15 tires on, without a lift. Some have put on 235/75/15 on these cars, and have experienced a bit of rubbing at full extension. Others are lucky, and don’t have problems with them. Our rims are 5.5 inches wide, and it is advised that the 235’s go on to a wider rim: 6-8 inches.
My personal experience - taken with many caveats...lol.
I was running the 225’s for years, and liked them. They still allowed the car to handle reasonably well, did not impact my mpg appreciably, and looked nice in the wheel well. When it was time to replace my tires, I could no longer find the 225’s, as it’s somewhat of an unusual size here. I had a choice of dropping down to the 215’s, or up to 235’s. Being a ‘wild child’, lol, I threw caution to the wind and got the 235’s and put them on my existing 5.5 rims. I do not have any crowning with those tires (squishing the tire in on a narrower rim, so that the tread part of the tire no longer lies flat, but is ‘crowned’). I had no rubbing, and a the tires look great - big, beefy, fill up the wheel well really nicely. They also raised the car a bit, as I now have to push myself up a bit, to get into the cab. That’s the positive side of these tires. The negatives: they impacted the handling of the car somewhat, particularly on sharp curves, as the center of gravity is now raised higher. They impacted my mpg to about 2-3 mpg, as the tires are really heavy. I’m running the little 8v engine, so acceleration from a complete stop is a bit slower as well.
All things being considered, my preference would be the 225’s, personally, although I really like the look of the beefy 235’s in the wheel well.
As an aside, the rear spare tire holder will not hold the 225’s or the 235’s. My spare is still a 205/75/15, which I’d run as a kind of ‘donut’ until my flat would be repaired. Not only is there not really enough room for a larger tire on the factory spare tire holder, but the larger tires are heavy, and can fatigue the metal of the tailgate.
Just my personal opinion....lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts