Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I want to add some powerful spotlights on my XL7 but don't have a bullbar to mount them on and don't want to drill the roof etc so does anyone have any ideas for mounting them and also what type could i fit? been doing a lot of offroading in the wilds and need better light for old forest trails. also has anyone fitted LED bulbs in their fog lights? if so which ones. Still doing jobs on my XL7 and finally found a spare front bumper to spray up to tidy the paintwork and looking better will be doing the same with the rear bumper (done all the damaged wheel arch trims) Love my car and its defo a keeper and lots more mods planned for the future including lift kit etc. Cheers and Happy New Year to you all!

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right here's my replacement bumper to be sprayed and its identical to my current damaged bumper apart from the round holes where the round lights go is solid and will need cutting out to fit the existing lights.....it has screw holes around the round moulding...checked my existing lights and not sure how they fit in but did notice they rattle and are loose so need sorting. I am getting a local bodyshop to spray the bumpers and i think the colour is Cassis Red? does anyone know the paint code number for that? its a 2005 model. My lights are 130mm or 5" diameter.....are they fog lights or sidelights? has anyone replaced them with something better?
Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Composite material Rectangle
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Plant

· Administrator
19,493 Posts
First - the paint code should be under the hood - if you don't find it, PM me the VIN and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Second - spot lights - don't bother trying to mount anything other than a fog light into the openings into the bumper - they are too low to be of any use.

Fog lights and spot lights are very different in design and use - fog lights should have a wide beam angle and a sharp horizontal cutoff, they need to be mounted low down, the idea being that the beam of light is not reflected off of the droplets of moisture back to the driver dazzling him. Spot lights have a much narrower beam angle and lack the horizontal cutoff of a fog light, spot lights are mounted higher up, I prefer them to be on roughly the same level as the headlamps. Depending on the regulations in the country of use, fog lights are wired to come on either with side lights only or the low beams, spot lights are wired to come on with the high beams.

Since you have the bumper off, or will be removing it, you can fabricate mounts that bolt to the front panel, below/behind the grille.

Below is a top down view of my front bumper showing the spot light mounts which go through the plastic bumper skin and are secured to brackets that are bolted to existing threaded holes

Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood Gas

Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Land vehicle

This shows the assembled front end - the spot lamps are Hella Comet 500F.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Thanks for the info and your spotlights are exactly what i was thinking of mounted through the top of the bumper, I will get the existing fog lights fitted into the newly painted bumper in the correct mounting place like ya said. They should help me when i am offroading through the forests at night...i had a near miss recently when i didn't spot a collapsed bridge quick enough and nearly ended up in a ditch lol. I am a wildlife photographer so lots of creeping about shooting nocturnal critters like Owl's Badgers etc. Thanks for your help cheers

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right here's my replacement bumper to be sprayed and its identical to my current damaged bumper apart from the round holes where the round lights go is solid and will need cutting out to fit the existing lights.....it has screw holes around the round moulding...checked my existing lights and not sure how they fit in but did notice they rattle and are loose so need sorting. I am getting a local bodyshop to spray the bumpers and i think the colour is Cassis Red? does anyone know the paint code number for that? its a 2005 model. My lights are 130mm or 5" diameter.....are they fog lights or sidelights? has anyone replaced them with something better? View attachment 109526 View attachment 109527
Regarding the fog light holes do anyone have a picture of a bumper that has the holes showing without the fog lights actually in place as trying to workout how much of the replacement bumpers holes need cutting out prior to painting? due to my heart problem i am having to get others to do the actual work but i am trying to sort out any details or parts needed to do the job if that makes any sense. I live out in the wilds on my own so another reason to do as much planning before going into the town. We recently had some snow and i pulled a Audi Q7 out of a ditch with my XL7 lol i was one of the few cars that kept going in the mountain roads and don't have offroad tyres fitted yet so quite impressed with the road tyres fitted. Cheers guys and hope ya all well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts