Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a H4 LED Headlight Conversion Kit on my wife's 2004 Tracker LT V6. Pictures are taken with low beam only at the headlight height, not the driver's eye level. Direct install into the halogen housing. The cutoff pattern is maintained and the performance at night is really good. It maintains both the high and low beam function. $150.00 Canadian dollars. I think it's a pretty nice upgrade...

Found them here:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=577191895

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,766 Posts
So where's the picture showing the "cut off pattern"?

Call me a dis-believer if you like, but, there's no way you can get the same beam pattern as an H4 lamp from that - here are two reasons why ...

First - the high and low beam filaments on a H4 lamp are positioned at different points on the longitudinal axis - that fixture has two LEDs - you run the top only for low beam, and both for high, which means either the low beam LED is too far back, the high beam LEDs are too far forward, or they compromised and put them in between, and neither is correct.

How important is this? Well - if the light source is not at the focal point of the optics, you don't get the optimal beam.

Second - the high beam filament on a H4 is located with axis front to back - it radiates in a 360* pattern partially obscured by two thin wires located above & below - your two LEDs are located top & bottom and each has less than a 180* radiation pattern - without knowing exactly which LED is fitted, I can't be specific, but I'd estimate at either 110* or 135*, and that is based on an assumption that the designer cared, it could be less - even worse - the "blind spots" (areas with no light output) are now horizontal and not vertical, as with the H4.

Taking pictures facing the car or in a garage does nothing to show how well the lights work.

Take it out on to an open road on a dark night - are you getting the beam throw (distance) you were with the halogens? are you getting the beam spread (width) that you were with the halogens? Try it in the rain, does it penetrate the way the halogens did?

Park it two or three car lengths from a wall or other flat surface at night and take a picture of the low beam pattern, do you get that distinct horizontal cutoff with the upward throw on the right?

Last, but by no means least, you have no SAE/DOT approval, and that means under CMVSS108 the lights are not legal (you specified Canadian dollars, so I'm quoting the Canadian legislation you're required to meet). Did you notice the vendor lists it as being CE ROHS certified? That's a European "health & safety" certification - don't you think if it met Canadian vehicle lighting requirements he would have been telling you that too?

Oh - one more thing - waterproof to one meter? really? isn't that a fan underneath it? and the headlamp housings aren't waterproof, not even water resistant.

Edit - Cree CXA1512 (if you believe him) so 115* viewing angle, Cree says 1100~2200 lumens, he says 4400~5200.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A guy on a Kizashi forum converted his high beam lights to H7 LED. He raves about them, but from the pictures he posted the beam pattern is all wrong now- there is a lot of light spread close to the vehicle and long distance visibility seems lost completely. A downgrade, unless you never actually drive outside of cities and need lighting that works at 100km/h or higher speeds.
Kizashi Club - View topic - How to install DRL/High Beam LED Conversion Kit Mind you, his "before" comparison pics are of an aftermarket HID kit not the stock halogen bulbs.

Have you been able to refit the cover on the rear of the headlight? I know a number of people apparently leave the rear cover off because the heatsink won't fit in or they get too hot.

PS: That 115 degree light spread spec is also not the full brightness out to 115 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are really happy with the performance so far (cold temps, lots of snow). Install was a challenge on the first lamp, but a breeze on the second. I was able to refit the rear cover once I understood the process. There were no instructions included in the kit. I will see about posting a pic.

My opinion: Halogen high beam is better. LED low beam is better. We live in a major city and I don't remember the last time we needed to use the high beam. For us, not an issue.

The thread was started to show that there is an alternative available for headlights, not to start a pissing match about someone else's claims, substantiated or not.

If there are concerns about the manufacturing or the IP67 rating, then I suggest contacting the seller or manufacturer.

Whether or not they are legal/illegal makes no difference to me. I don't think it matters to 90% of people. I have LED Amber 1156 & 1157 bulbs for my Sidekick turn signals. I am pretty sure that none of them are DOT compliant, making them illegal. Yet they still blink a very visible light when I turn or use my hazards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts