Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '99 Honda CR-V...it has about 205K on it. I just took it to one shop, I was hoping that they could fix it before we went out of town. But, they did a compression test and it had 135 or higher, in 3 cylinders and #4 had 35#.

So, I take it to another shop that takes forever to get in to and we leave it while we are out of town. They adjust the valves, #4 has no lash at all on the exhaust. You could not move the rocker arm. He starts it and it runs fine. I drive off and when it warms up and goes off of fast idle it starts throwing the same code (P1399). We only notice a problem at idle.

I was hoping that a valve job would fix it, but now I am not so sure.

Today, I do a leakdown test. The only good thing about it I can say is that there was no leakage in the radiator or exhaust.

#1, air leakage heard in the valve cover (caused by leaking rings?)
#2 you could feel a draft coming out of #1 and #4
#3 leakage heard in the intake manifold
#4 draft in #3 and noise in #1

This is very odd...for instance, #1 is not audible in the other cylinders...But, #2 and #4 both have symptoms in #1. When I say a draft, I mean that when you put air in to #2 and put a rubber hose against the sparkplug hole and your check you can feel air coming out of #1.

So, based on the above....Can I safely assume that a valve job is a waste of time? Correct?

Has anybody had any luck w/JDM engines...do you have a recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
Between the apparent valve issues, what appears to be piston ring / cylinder blow-by AND the high mileage 15 year old vehicle...I think I'd throw in the towel. :(

Either trade it off, invest in a full-scale re-build, a re-man engine or a swap-in of a low mileage used motor. ;)

Is the rest of the vehicle in a condition that warrants the investment? Only you can answer that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, I've been thinking about it. The first shop gave me pretty good advice. They said that I should do a leak-down test and if it was high, that I could just do a valve job, and if it was low, then it needed a rebuild.

It is leaking into the crankcase on #1.

JDM motors are about $600. My wife likes it, and she can really rack up the miles on a car (we are 25 miles from town, RT and sometimes she has to make multiple trips). For the cost of a motor, and what it would cost to replace it (the big factor, not what it is worth), I think a motor is the thing to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts