Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
hey there i wanna lift my truck and i have seen a leaf over suspension conversion,just want to no if this is a safe way to go? :confused:
*Works great if you do a complete conversion and don't skimp on the parts. Get a complete kit.

*caveat*
Drive it like a sport utility vehicle, not a porche, and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Spring perches
New u-bolts
Shock solution - new mounts and/or longer shocks
Brake solution - longer lines or extensions
Steering solution - a high steer kit and not just a silly bent steering link (it fits, but you won't be happy with the bump steer problem it creates)
Driveshaft spacers or longer replacement driveshafts - your choice

That should be a basic kit. Anything less is unsafe or unfinished.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After doing a proper SPOA like this one will I have much more body roll on paved road driving due to the higher center of gravity? Is SPOA a bad idea if the Samurai is also a daily driver?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You can use a sway bar to help minimize body roll, but you will need a longer bar or extensions so that it can reach . I think Calmini sells an extended swaybar.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ride after SPOA...

BillJohn's post says it all.

Don't drive it like an SCCA parking lot racer. ANY vehicle with a raised center of gravity will not handle as well as originally designed.

The addition of wider tires goes pretty far in offsetting instability created by raising the Samurai's Center of Gravity.

I really enjoy driving my 4/.5" lifted Samurai with 30" BFG AT/KOs as a Daily Driver on the Interstate.

It handles well especially with a high-steering system, which eliminated "bumpsteer" - truly the scariest part of a SPOA:

Ack's FAQ: Your 4X4 Portal To All Things Suzuki/Geo

As a bonus, everyone keeps their distance in rush-hour traffic!

Did you know that the original raw data generated during the Consumer's Report drivability tests of the Samurai were superior to those of the other three vehicles tested?

If you are REALLY going to be fearful of driving your lifted Samurai, sell it to someone who WILL enjoy it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts