Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I put the old girl through the woods and went mudding for a day, it performed amazingly and very strong. Recently tho ive been geting a kind of rapid fire ftftftftftftttftfttt sound when starting from a stop, it moves but sounds like it isnt firing or something then it roars to life and pull strong. Im wondering if anyone here has been thru this before?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Did you want us to guess, or,

are you going to provide some diagnostic data...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Start with a compression test to confirm your engine timing. Also advise if your check engine light is on with the key on and off when starting. You may also want to confirm your ignition timing - check the condition of the plugs and plug wires, make sure that your plugs are gapped to .028", as well. Plug tips can be a good indication of ignition - advise what the tips look like, black, wet, or...???

·
Registered
987 Posts
When did you last do a tune up? It sounds like you may want to replace plugs, wires and distributor cap. You may have got the wiring wet or covered in crud when you were off roading.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i let it sit over the weekend in the sun and cranked it on, it seems to have stopped. Im going to assume i sucked some water into the throttle body or something like that. After posting my original post i remembered when i almost blew it up by sucking water up it made a similar sound about a year ago.. now onto switching attempting to switch over the window mechanism to the new door.

I did some checks as well and spark plugs are all gapped correctly, timing is bang on and my filter did have water residue in it...

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
If this is how you use the car, you may want to consider a snorkel....???

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Is the air intake stock or is it a cold air intake or other modified system?

The stock system is fairly good at separating out any water that gets sucked in. Unless you get in over the wheels.

For info: The stock system is an odd looking series of pipes and bends under the fender... (side varies with motor type... with the g16, mostly the left) it LOOKS restrictive but it actually flows fairly well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The stock air intake is poorly located if you are doing any off roading involving water. Either install a snorkel or extend the existing from under the hood to the highest possible place above the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts