Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Reno (75k in miles) has a knocking sound everytime the engine is on. I recorded a video of it. It seems to be coming from the side of the engine where the serpentine belt is.
Knocking sound coming from engine - YouTube

Any Ideas what it could be before I take it to the Dealer?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am afraid to say that there is something wrong with the bearings and or rods. :( I hope the dealer can fix it under warranty. How do you drive the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
DJ

Unless you're fairly handy with the tool box you're off to the Mechanic but you might be lucky, it sounds more like you may have a problem with Timing Chain guides or a tensioner rather than bottom end woes.
How does it drive at the moment? Does it blow any smoke?

Good Luck

Doc

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am afraid to say that there is something wrong with the bearings and or rods. :( I hope the dealer can fix it under warranty. How do you drive the car?
Strange it just happened. MY car still drives fine. Do you think its cover by the powertran warranty?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJ

Unless you're fairly handy with the tool box you're off to the Mechanic but you might be lucky, it sounds more like you may have a problem with Timing Chain guides or a tensioner rather than bottom end woes.
How does it drive at the moment? Does it blow any smoke?

Good Luck

Doc
Hmm..car seems to drive fine, I dont see any smoke but again I dont see any from my rear view mirror, I will have to let somebody drive it around and see if
I see any smoke.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with Suzukidoc, it sounds like one of the bearings in the idler rollers is bad. I recently replaced the head gasket and timing components on my Forenza and found one of the idler roller bearings was rough. Before I swapped it out, it would make a slight scraping noise until the car warmed up, which I could never find and it was driving me nuts!
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to recall reading a TSB that said there were some of these cars were equipped with a slightly longer water pump pulley, which tended to contact the inside of the plastic timing belt cover which distorts slightly over time, due to (normal) heat exposure. The dealer would swap out the water pump with a redesigned one that provided more clearance within the timing belt cover.
Good luck, I hope it isn't something too serious!

Edit: Sorry, couldn't find any such TSB for '07. Still think it could be an idler bearing or flayed timing belt slapping around in there, so be careful! These are interference engines and will bend valves in the event the timing belt fails!

PS: Come to think of it, check the serpentine belt and make sure it's not flayed, or something caught in the pulleys!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Suzukidoc, it sounds like one of the bearings in the idler rollers is bad. I recently replaced the head gasket and timing components on my Forenza and found one of the idler roller bearings was rough. Before I swapped it out, it would make a slight scraping noise until the car warmed up, which I could never find and it was driving me nuts!
I may be wrong on this, but I seem to recall reading a TSB that said there were some of these cars were equipped with a slightly longer water pump pulley, which tended to contact the inside of the plastic timing belt cover which distorts slightly over time, due to (normal) heat exposure. The dealer would swap out the water pump with a redesigned one that provided more clearance within the timing belt cover.
Good luck, I hope it isn't something too serious!

Edit: Sorry, couldn't find any such TSB for '07. Still think it could be an idler bearing or flayed timing belt slapping around in there, so be careful! These are interference engines and will bend valves in the event the timing belt fails!

PS: Come to think of it, check the serpentine belt and make sure it's not flayed, or something caught in the pulleys!
Thanks for the input. I did have my surpentine belt replaced around 40k due to bubbling, but I have not had the timing belt done yet reason dealer wants $800 plus to do it.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
the timing belt should be done every 30k. if it brakes you might kill the motor. the timing idler pulley has been known to make some noise. replace the pylley when you get the timing belt done if thats the problem it will go away.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the timing belt should be done every 30k. if it brakes you might kill the motor. the timing idler pulley has been known to make some noise. replace the pylley when you get the timing belt done if thats the problem it will go away.
Thanks for the info, how hard would it be to change the timing belt myself? I have some basic mechanic skills. And would you suggest I buy the timing belt kit from ebay?

·
Registered
149 Posts
It was a bit tricky for me to change mine, but I did it while retaining ~most~ of my hair.
Just make sure the engine is at top dead center on the compression stroke and Line up those timing marks accurately!

The camshafts tend to spring back a bit when the belt is off, so be sure to lock them in place with something or they'll be off by a tooth (trust me on this, I cursed up a storm). I "cheated" a bit (after waaay too many unsuccessful tries) by inserting an appropriately sized allen wrench between both camshaft sprockets' teeth.
When the sprockets are correctly lined up, you'll see the teeth form a sort of "valley" between them that looks like an allen key could fit in there and lock one against the other. After I did this, I was able to install the belt with no further profanity. :S

You could order the timing kit from RockAuto. The timing belt kit with tensioner and both idlers for your car is currently $80.99 + s&h.
I tried sourcing my timing kit from eBay, and RockAuto's prices with shipping were way cheaper. My kit had all the above + the water pump for ~$150 shipped!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Or you could order from RockAuto. The timing belt kit with tensioner and both idlers is currently $80.99 + s&h.
I tried sourcing my timing kit from eBay, and RockAuto's prices with shipping were way cheaper. Mine had all the above + the water pump for ~$150 shipped!
I will look into getting it from rockauto. Install wise how difficult is it to install?

I found a youtube guide
http://youtu.be/P0vYvCSKTuk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Whoops! I edited, LOL (slow typer).
It is a bit involved, you'll definitely need the manual for the correct procedure.
Also read the tip in my edited post!

Edit: You could get by without the manual with these videos, I believe! Very well made; I wish they'd been posted earlier when I did it! Just make sure you have all the necessary tools beforehand!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
rock auto is a great spot for parts.since your going to be in the are you should change the water pump also. i would suggest having someone familiar with doing the job helping you, its pretty involved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's what I like to see have a go.
A little tip when you are working on timing gears that has always made it easy for me is after you line up all your marks and before you take the old belt off, get a paint pen and draw a few lines accross the gears where they mesh. It makes it easy to get the new belt on with the gears in exactly the right place.

Cheeers...................

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had with my 2006 suzuki Reno . Mine was the power steering pump being "ground up from the inside" (as the guy from the dealer put it) . Have you noticed any sort of hissing sound when you turn the steering wheel? If so then your problem is probably the same one that I had

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds similar to a problem I had with my 2006 suzuki Reno . Mine was the power steering pump being "ground up from the inside" (as the guy from the dealer put it) . Have you noticed any sort of hissing sound when you turn the steering wheel? If so then your problem is probably the same one that I had
hmm hard to say I. Only time i hear a noise is if I turn the steering wheel all-the way till I can not turn it anymore either if its to the left or right. But thats it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hmm hard to say I. Only time i hear a noise is if I turn the steering wheel all-the way till I can not turn it anymore either if its to the left or right. But thats it.
The "hissing" nose would occur when I had to turn the wheel very hard or all the way. Usually when I was backing out of a spot and turned the wheel all the way to straighten out or made a hard u turn. My pump started making the nose at less than 35000 miles so you might want to look into it .

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "hissing" nose would occur when I had to turn the wheel very hard or all the way. Usually when I was backing out of a spot and turned the wheel all the way to straighten out or made a hard u turn. My pump started making the nose at less than 35000 miles so you might want to look into it .
I noticed that too but i normally have my music up so I dont hear that hissing sound. I replaced my power steering fluid around 35k and one time recently my SSPS light did come on which I thought was a little strange, but it has not been on since..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah it has nothing to do with the fluid Because my fluid was fine. It's just the pump basically being shredded. The Suzuki Reno is just a terribly designed car altogether.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts