Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought an SX4 DDiS in the uk. It is a 2008 model with 90K miles on the clock.
It has the usual issues with EGR valve, but that will be sorted in time:).

However, on 3 occasions now, the car has refused to start after a short stop. First time, I stopped to fill up with fuel, returned to the car and it would not start. Turned over fine, but would not fire. Although the blue key recognition light flashed, it seemed the immobiliser was preventing it starting.
I walked home to get the spare key and by the time I got back (maybe 15 minutes) the car had been moved and engine was running.
The garage said they jumped in, turned the starter and it fired ok.

I replaced the batteries in both key fobs to eliminate that problem.

It has done this twice more, both times when the car has been left for just a few minutes. Leave it for 10 minutes or so and it starts fine and is good for a week or so.

Anyone have any ideas or come across this before?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you may be right about it being the imobilizer.
but one really weird issue many of has had is when the car won't start if you turn the key quickly from off to start. solution is simple -- turn the key to the acc position, wait a second or two, then complete the turn to start the car. something about letting the fuel pumps prime.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that next time it does it.

I've tried to remember if there are any common circumstances for each non start, but other than only being stopped for a few minutes nothing springs to mind. Engine has been fully warm in each case.

Going to try taking the spare fob out with me as it looks unused.

I read somewhere on a Fiat forum (same engine) that there was something in the fuel delivery system which could get stuck due to carbon build up and prevent starting. Cooling down a little freed it off and engine starts ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car finally started to cut out whilst driving and would not re-start until it had been left a while to cool down.
Good thing is, it brought the MIL light on. Fault code indicates Crank Sensor.

Looking on the Fiat forum, these are classic symptoms of crank sensor failure on the JTD engine.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
At least on the diesel it looks easy to get too and is only £20 on ebay ^_^
I have also heard of these sensors suffering heat soak issues on various engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the earlier SX4/Sedici diesels were 1.9 JTD (DDiS).
I think the 1.6 and 2.0 diesels came in the later models.

I hope you are right about access. I guess I'll know soon enough:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated. Thanks you.

Just ordered the sensor from Eurocarparts for £21 with their 20% Easter discount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts