Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) I recently acquired a 2nd. keyless entry remote for my 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara and need to program it. My local Suzuki dealer wants $35.00 just to program it. I've been told by a couple of sources that there is a sequence of turning the ignition switch off-on in combination with opening and closing the driver-side door, but no one is sure of the exact sequence. Can anyone help me?[/SIZE]

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
There is NO way to reprogram the 01 units. You must replace the control unit and new key fobs.. The 03's are the first ones that you are able to reprogram..

Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) I recently acquired a 2nd. keyless entry remote for my 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara and need to program it. My local Suzuki dealer wants $35.00 just to program it. I've been told by a couple of sources that there is a sequence of turning the ignition switch off-on in combination with opening and closing the driver-side door, but no one is sure of the exact sequence. Can anyone help me

I can give You programming for 2003 Grand Vitara ,it might work.I hope it helps !!!Try it !!! Here:

NOTE: Four remotes can be programmed at the same time. If a fifth remote is programmed, the oldest one will then be cleared. Program four new remotes to delete any existing remotes!

1. Confirm that all the doors are closed and the ignition key is out of the ignition cylinder.
2. Open the driver’s door.
3. Perform these steps within 10 seconds: Insert the key into ignition and turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then back to the OFF position and remove key.
4. Within 20 seconds, close and open the driver’s door three times.
5. Within 10 seconds, insert the key into the ignition and turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then back to the OFF position and remove key.
6. Press and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the remote for at least 5 seconds. Release both buttons.
7. Within 5 seconds, press the LOCK button on the remote and release. All doors will automatically lock and unlock to confirm that remote has been properly programmed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
h-h: Did any of the advice given on this site on reprograming your remotes work, or did you have to go back to the dealer? I'm facing a similar problem with my 2001 Vitara.

·
Registered
429 Posts
red, if you haven't changed your controller or remotes the only fix is to take it in for the kit. After 3 years of working for a Suzuki dealer I'll never forget the looks on peoples faces when I told them that and even worse when they realized that they were out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
4,490 Posts
like I said, the 01 remotes CANNOT be reprogrammed unless you replaced the whole unit with a new reprogrammable unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bobmsolgv: Took your advise purchases a new programable controller that came with two new FOB's. Finally got around to installing it yesterday. It was an easy install thanks to your advise, and the instructions of others on this site.

Thanks all for the help!
Red Vitara

·
Registered
2 Posts
just had a customer show up at the dealership wanting to get a remote programmed for the 01 grand vitara/vitara and what u were to find out is surprising.......

the same programming sequence for the swift is the same for the g.v....remove glove box, remove box with red light on it, flip a swich, press buttons, reflip switch, and go........

pretty easy, but the whole ig. on-off and door open-close thing just won't work....

·
Registered
429 Posts
That ONLY works IF you've had the controller/remotes replaced. THe original all black with 2 oval buttons is NOT programmable. Period. End of story. It hasn't changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
where can you buy these new programmable remotes/kit?

I had to replace my battery yesterday in my grand vitara and now the remote doesn't work...I replaced the battery in that and it still is dead. My dealer says that they will charge me 58 to reprogram and reading this shows me that it won't even help.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got mine to work.

I ordered a replacement remote from Keylessride.com for my '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara. The instructions they game to me initially did not work, however after I followed the "key in&out / door open&close" method mentioned before, the programming instructions worked.

The programming instructions they gave to me told me to press a button located next to an indicator LED on the keyless entry module, and wait for the LED to flash. Initially, pressing the button did not yield any results.

Then I tried the "key in&out / door open&close" method with no results yet again. However, when I went to retry the programming instructions provided with the remote, the LED began to flash and I was actually able to program the remote they supplied me with. I assume this will work with any remote, as it looks for any transmitters made for the car.

STEPS:
1- Perform "key in&out / door open&close" procedure as mentioned before in this thread.
2- Locate and press the programming button next to the red LED on the keyless entry control module. (Behind/under the dash on the driver side)
3- If the LED flashes, press lock, then unlock until the LED becomes solid.

Hope this helps anybody out there having any problems! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where is this module located. I have a 2000 gv. Bought it a couple months ago. Did not get any key fobs. I don't know if it even had them to start with. I know that if i lock either front doors with a key it locks the entire car.?? Or is that the you shoulda got keyfob parting gift???

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
The module (if fitted) will be under the driver's side dash - as far as I know, power locks are standard, keyless entry was an added cost option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts