1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Key Fob Not Detected

I have this message come up on the dash board,
I have replaced the battery in the FOB.
The car opens and locks and starts no problem.
The keyless buttons do not work to open/lock the drivers door/boot.

Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Key Fob Not Detected

I have this message come up on the dash board,

Any advice?
Does it happen when the keyfob is at any location or at specific one? It happens to me when i put it at the dash pocket where the usb port and charger are located. I assume that the immobiliser sensor cannot sense it while it's there

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Speaking from experience of a “friend”, make sure the battery is the right way up. It would have saved me a red face had I checked it twice !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Key Fob Not Detected

I have this message come up on the dashboard,

Any advice?
Hello there, I have had the same problem since July 2020. The key fob is connected to the car while driving, but if I stop and one of the passengers opens/closes the door, I get the message "Key Fob not detected", and the key fob itself starts to flash a red light. I took the car on numerous occasions to the car's dealer, and they couldn't fix it. The last time I took the car to the service, it was there for 2 weeks and they returned the vehicle with the same problem. They couldn't fix it. With the Covid lockdowns, I gave up and still drive the car, but I cannot open/close doors from the outside buttons, and everytime I drop my kids at school I have to restart the vehicle to avoid seeing the flashing lights on the dashboard. Did you find a solution with your car?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,791 Posts
Have you installed a good battery in the FOB ?

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
I'd start by replacing the battery in the fob, followed by "re-pairing" the fob to the vehicle and and then maybe replace the fob itself - how many fobs do you have? Do you get the same problem with all of them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd start by replacing the battery in the fob, followed by "re-pairing" the fob to the vehicle and and then maybe replace the fob itself - how many fobs do you have? Do you get the same problem with all of them?
Thanks for your reply. They gave me two (2) key fobs, both working. = the same issue, I cannot open the car manually with the door button, only with the key fob. Last year, the car was taken to the Suzuki service, but they couldn't solve the problem. I took the time to read the manual and with my limited understanding, the way the key fobs work is more complex because they are connected to the system that works with antennas? (on doors, middle of the car, etc). ? I know that they tried to re-pairing the car, they gave me a printed code or something but nope, the problem wasn't solved.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds as if one of the cars antennas is disconnected. Has it had and work done to either of the front doors or the boot area?
I'd check the boot antennas connected first.
(Behind the boot sill panel)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,791 Posts
Is your vehicle OBDII compliant, if so get it scanned with a pro grade scanner and see what is missing...

Reactions: PatyBrisbane

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
How do you get the car started if it does not detect the fob?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is your vehicle OBDII compliant, if so get it scanned with a pro grade scanner and see what is missing...
The dealer would be the obvious place to find a pro grade scanner rather than the punter.

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
Press the Start button with the fob. That works on most cars.
I'm not interested in what happens on most cars, I want to know what happens on this particular car - the idea is to understand the parameters of the failure.

Based on his (or her) answer, I may be able to get an idea of where the "breakdown" in communication is occurring - the fact that the car can be unlocked by pressing the buttons on the fob (post #8) tells me that the transmission from the fob is being received and the fob is recognized as having the authority to unlock the vehicle. The fact that the car will not unlock when the button on the door is pressed suggests that the car may not be "polling" the fob, or the fob may not be responding to the poll.

We also don't know that this particular vehicle has push button start (or at least I don't see it mentioned) - the thread starter's car appears to have push button start (we can see it in the picture), but we're no longer dealing with that vehicle - if the vehicle does not have push button start, then the fob is not required to be present to start the vehicle, a key that the immobilizer recognizes as authorized to start the vehicle is all that is needed.

In short - are we looking at a keyless entry system problem, a keyless start system problem or a push button start system problem.

Another question I'd like to know the answer to is - have all three doors been tried - that might help rule out a failed button on the door and/or the external antennas - it's unlikely that all three sets will have failed simultaneously.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds as if one of the cars antennas is disconnected. Has it had and work done to either of the front doors or the boot area?
I'd check the boot antennas connected first.
(Behind the boot sill panel)
Thanks so much for your message. I will check that

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you get the car started if it does not detect the fob?
Thanks for all your messages, I can start the car by pressing the start button, (of course with the key fob somewhere inside the car), the error flashing light with the message "key fob not detected" appears when one of the doors is opened and the car's engine is still on. I will take the car to the service next month, we'll see what happens. Thanks again for your help!

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
I'd like to ask you to try one more test - unlock the car, open the door and then remove the battery from the fob - try to start the car - will it start with the fob "somewhere inside the car", or does it require you to push the start button with the fob for it to start?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm not interested in what happens on most cars, I want to know what happens on this particular car - the idea is to understand the parameters of the failure.

Based on his (or her) answer, I may be able to get an idea of where the "breakdown" in communication is occurring - the fact that the car can be unlocked by pressing the buttons on the fob (post #8) tells me that the transmission from the fob is being received and the fob is recognized as having the authority to unlock the vehicle. The fact that the car will not unlock when the button on the door is pressed suggests that the car may not be "polling" the fob, or the fob may not be responding to the poll.

We also don't know that this particular vehicle has push button start (or at least I don't see it mentioned) - the thread starter's car appears to have push button start (we can see it in the picture), but we're no longer dealing with that vehicle - if the vehicle does not have push button start, then the fob is not required to be present to start the vehicle, a key that the immobilizer recognizes as authorized to start the vehicle is all that is needed.

In short - are we looking at a keyless entry system problem, a keyless start system problem or a push button start system problem.

Another question I'd like to know the answer to is - have all three doors been tried - that might help rule out a failed button on the door and/or the external antennas - it's unlikely that all three sets will have failed simultaneously.
Then you asked the wrong question.

·
Administrator
17,048 Posts
No - the wrong person answered.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts