Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Huh I got that too. I believe it is called Dieseling. The remainder of the fuel inside the cylinders continue to burn after you switch off the spark plugs, but they burn as a result of the hot engine head and compression, not a spark, like a diesel engine. I don't know if there's a way to solve that.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
For an engine to diesel it needs fuel, air, and energy. When you cut the ignition, if the cylinder is hot enough it can still burn with compression/heat as it's energy source. Therefore you need to cut off either fuel or air or both.

With the samurai stock carburettor you have a fuel shutoff solenoid that prevents fuel from going to the engine when the primary throttle is shut and the engine rpm is over 2400, or when you turn the ignition off. The choke plate also closes to prevent air from entering the carb with the ignition off. If you have an aftermarket carb then you probably have an air shutoff valve to prevent dieseling but a lot of the aftermarkets don't have an electronic fuel cut solenoid.

If you have a problem with the engine dieseling then your shutoff solenoid may be sticking or the seal may be dammaged. If you have an aftermarket carb with no shutoff solenoid, then you need to be sure there are no vacuum leaks, or the air shutoff valve will be inefective for preventing dieseling.

·
Registered
448 Posts
For an engine to diesel it needs fuel, air, and energy. When you cut the ignition, if the cylinder is hot enough it can still burn with compression/heat as it's energy source. Therefore you need to cut off either fuel or air or both.

With the samurai stock carburettor you have a fuel shutoff solenoid that prevents fuel from going to the engine when the primary throttle is shut and the engine rpm is over 2400, or when you turn the ignition off. The choke plate also closes to prevent air from entering the carb with the ignition off. If you have an aftermarket carb then you probably have an air shutoff valve to prevent dieseling but a lot of the aftermarkets don't have an electronic fuel cut solenoid.

If you have a problem with the engine dieseling then your shutoff solenoid may be sticking or the seal may be dammaged. If you have an aftermarket carb with no shutoff solenoid, then you need to be sure there are no vacuum leaks, or the air shutoff valve will be inefective for preventing dieseling.

Hey, Bratacus, that's great info. Thanks a lot. I have a stock carb.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info when i bought the samurai it already had a weber on it. i dont know if i have a solenoid or not but i will try to find out. i will check for vacum leaks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts