Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forums. I mainly work on my Rx8 and have owned a fedw Rx7's in the past. My grandmother has recently become too ill with altzheimers to get to and from to take care of errands and grocery shopping, So as a result she has gifted her longtime Tracker to me. She bought it new from the dealer, and aside from sitting for a few years, the car runs great! Fairly excited!

put a fuel pump in it and the car fired right up! Look forward to being in the community guys!

Some pics if you guys are interested!

·
Registered
200 Posts
So far so good, where are the pics of the tracker. The mileage can't be beat, awesome.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. My grandpa dealt with the beginnings of Parkinson's and memory loss the last year of this life...granted he was pushing 90 when it began to set in.

If that tracker has never had a timing belt...ID do one, a tensioner, and a waterpump. Change belts, hoses, and any rubber lines you spot. Do that, and it'll hum along for another 70k probably problem free. If you add in a usual tune up parts you can do the whole thing for under 300$ and a few hours.

If you keep decent fluids in them...they literally will run forever.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
x2. A good, thorough 60,000 mile check is probably in order - replace all fluids (diffs and tranny too), belts, plugs (gapped to .028"), timing belt (info on the forum on how to do this). You will love this truck - they are fun, dependable, and economical. Post some pics, if you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet they are pretty dependable. It looks simple enough to work on. Way easier than my Rx-8. I wish it were a five speed manual though. It has developed a problem in the last day or so, when starting it sometimes it takes a good five to ten seconds of cranking and sounds like it is misfiring, then it will eventually catch on its own, and you can feel a few misfires at idle. Anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to bet it might have something to do with spark, those sparkplugs in there are probably the 20 year old factory plugs if I had to guess. Going to change those out and see. Plus I think the reconditioned battery i bought was junk, it wont hold a charge.

Heres the requested pics:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just replaced the plugs, They were in fact the original AC Delco's that came with the car from the factory, and had a significant amount of rust on them to boot. It still misfires however, and takes about 5-10 seconds of cranking to get it to start even after the plug change. I'm starting to think it might possibly be timing related. I might have to grab my timing light and see whats cooking. Also purchased a timing belt as well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The plugs need to be gapped at .028 in.

IF the plugs were original the wires, cap, & rotor prob are too then.

Find a low light (read as dark) spot to look at the wires while it is running to check for arcing to any metal spots. Let your eyes adjust to the dark for a minute, even close your eyes - headlights OFF before looking

·
Registered
69 Posts
On my 1.8L Sport I found the cause for a misfire on it was the overhead coil. Some moisture got into the rear cylinder coil and it had rusted. I scrapped it clean with a screw driver and it has run just fine since. I still need to replace that coil due to a crack in the rubber seal allowing the misture in. Living through a California draught I can probably get by with it until next winter. Coils are pricey.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
As this car is new to you, it's a good idea to do a good service on it. When the car is difficult to start, you can pull the plugs and look at the tips - wet would indicate that the car is flooding, for example. You may also want to try flooring the gas pedal when you go to start the car - is it easier? This stops gas delivery. Or depress the gas pedal about 10% and try. This adds additional air. Normally, you do not touch the gas pedal at all when starting the car.
You may want to advise if the check engine light is on with the key on and off once the car starts. It must be. Also, you can check for codes (with a metal paperclip). Here's how:
Check Engine Light
You should get a code 12 if the ECU sees no major faults.
And I probably would forget the timing light for the moment. This just checks the fine tuning of the ignition timing - you probably should check the engine timing and the static ignition timing first.
Personally, I would do a compression test on the engine - F1 fuse out, all plugs out, battery well charged and gas pedal floored when cranking. Post your results - you should be getting about 170psi on all cylinders.
And if your spark plugs were original :eek: I would also assume that your tranny fluid, diff fluid, filters, oil, etc., etc., might be close to original as well. You should change all.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I would replace the fuel filter, particularly as its been stood.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Nice little two wheel drive. (No tachometer) Is it an 8 valve motor?

It looks like a good around town car, work and grocery getter. But as a 2 wheel drive automatic, it doesn't make a good "towd." But if you are not into motorhomes, it is probably not an issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great condition, these little trackers are awesome. Good luck with it...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nice looking Tracker!

2WD didnt come with a tach (unless it was an option). Im also happy the owner put up the original sales sticker...I wanna scream everytime I see Trackicks for sale and sellers say theyre getting 30-50 MPG. What a lie, these arent Metro's!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have never gotten less than 31 miles per gallon. I've had the tracker for about 2 months now. It's a 97 four wheel drive, five speed. I drive it like an old lady though. I've put about 3k on it so far. It has 205 tires so I'd imagine the odometer is right. The best I've gotten is 34.51 mpg.

I shift at about 25 hundred rpm's, I drive slow. 50 to 55 on the highway here in Vegas, but I drive mostly in the city, with a couple trips up to Mt Charleston and use it on some dirt roads for a few miles each tank in Boulder too. I don't expect most drive like I do, I'm in no rush, cars pass me all the time.

I have never had a vehicle I've enjoyed driving more than this tracker. I've had a couple of corvettes, jeep, camaro, ect, not sure what it is with this thing. When I hear people getting 25 mpg, I'd say they are driving much faster than I am.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I suppose much depends on your driving conditions - hills, wind, etc. local or highway traffic. I normally drive pretty slowly as well, but much is stop and go. I was surprised however, when I once let the Tracker out on the highway driving for about 2 hours at 4000 rpms (about 70mph), and when filling up again, actually got 27 mpg at that rate. Not so bad.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Right now I'm staying in Vegas, most of my driving is in the city. I use the hills to my advantage on the way down and you get pretty good at timing some lights. I have never had the tracker over 3500 rpm's or 65 mph going down hill, don't care how much some people tale gate. lol. I check my mileage at every fill up. I'd have to bet I could never get 30 with an automatic, been looking for one though. Should have bought the 98 sidekick I looked at 2 weeks ago, it was gone a few hours after I walked away. Love these little trucks.

You're right about the wind, it was going against me the other day on the highway. It felt like I was towing another 1000 pounds. 27mpg at 70, that's not bad at all, at 50 or 55 you'd be way over 30, probably closer to 35.

I wanted to do a full tune up when I got it, but I figured it's running perfect I'd probably screw something up. I checked the oil the other day, I can't believe how clean it is. It looked like I just put it in, not use to that with any vehicle I've owned. Looks like someone really took care of this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in posting. I've been troubleshooting a mid rpm hesitation on my Rx-8 recently in between troubleshooting the hard starting problem on the tracker.

Done thus far: New plugs, properly gapped, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, cleaned tank out. Oil change w/ filter, and battery. I've noticed sometimes while its cranking and cranking to start it up, if i touch the gas pedal a 'hair' it fires right up. Maybe the throttle linkage is out of adjustment methinks?

I really wish it was a five speed, but given the shape its in, I'm glad I have it to begin with. It just ticked to 68,000 miles on the way to get a new battery. :lol:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Done thus far: New plugs, properly gapped, new fuel filter, new fuel pump, cleaned tank out. Oil change w/ filter, and battery. I've noticed sometimes while its cranking and cranking to start it up, if i touch the gas pedal a 'hair' it fires right up. Maybe the throttle linkage is out of adjustment methinks?
Did you overlook the air filter? I believe when you slightly depress the gas pedal it allows more air into the mix.

Check the housing for a mouse nest or other restrictions while you are there.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I've noticed sometimes while its cranking and cranking to start it up, if i touch the gas pedal a 'hair' it fires right up.
Doing this adds extra air at start up. Can you put your car's specs in your signature? 1994 Tracker - 8v presumably - auto tranny, etc.
With the 8v, there is a throttle opener at the rear of the throttle body that should be open by default, and close once the ECU comes on line. There is also a mechanical air valve on the throttle body, just to the left (passenger side) of the TPS, behind a couple of screws. This also provides extra air at start - when you remove the metal plate in front of it, the valve should be in the rearward position with the port on the right side of the housing showing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.