Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sidekick was parked in front of a buddies house, in a decent neighborhood tonight. Had a little crawfish boil, cleaned up, walked outside for some gum, and all was well, went to leave an hour later, not so much.

Apparently my door lock popped up when I shut the door hard to run in. They stole my streamlight gunlight, a pocket knife, 100$ from the ashtray, but threw the change everywhere, the faceplate from my dvd head unit....and then slashed both front seats as they were getting out.

Gun was thankfully locked up for the first time in years. They didnt touch the tools, sunglasses, the wife's purse, the 6 loaded mags in the door, or the headphones they tossed in the back while rummaging.

Sincerely wish we could have caught the little bastard who did it.

Could have been worse I suppose.

Probably going to look into a seat swap...or aftermsrket seats. Also have to order a new headunit.

Angry with how pathetic people are, and really wish I could have caught whoever did it...

Anyone know of any seat swaps? I think I could squeeze in a vinyl setup from a jeep patriot.

Any idea of where to find oem seat pricing? Thats all the insurance company is going to care about.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Geesh, what a PIA.....Really sorry for this. When I lived in NY, I had to deal with sh*t like this all the time - all anyone had to do was unzip the rear window and they were in - lost loads of things, radio, etc. Fortunately, I live in a place where I don't have to worry about this anymore.
Regarding the seats - that's going to be a tough one. The catalog over on partsouq doesn't list a seat, but rather components, covers, etc.
https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/suzuki/part?catalog=US&model_code=SE416A33&group=190
I imagine (although I haven't checked) my EPC will indicate something similar.
There have been a few threads on the forum about seat swaps with different cars - not too many, and there are mods that need to be made (other than getting a Trackick replacement seat for the 4 door) as the tracks, etc., will not be compatible.
Really sorry for your situation....:(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Gawd I HATE thief's! Sorry for your troubles. At least another stolen firearm isn't on the streets. As far as your head unit, if they just took the face plate, you may be able to find one on ebay. Depending on model of course. Sounds like you at least have comprehensive insurance on it. I don't keep it on mine because in this small town, we don't really worry about our vehicles getting broke into.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vehicle sits every night at my house, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition. It would be unwise for a thief to make an appearance where I live, there arent any teenagers...or anyone who would need to steal something, so anyone leaving the hwy to get here wouldnt go unnoticed.

Pretty sure it was a kid.

As for the seats, I have no problem modifying the rails. Been looking at patriot seats, Im going to take a few measurements today. Just curious as to how the insurance company will value the old seats.

As for insurance, its insured for a few thousand over value, because of deer. They have a tendency of running in front of, and into the sides of, anything I happen to be driving.

Just really wish I knew a value of a new seat. That eay I had some idea going in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got on Carpart.com and it looks like seats range anywhere from $50-$125 each in this area. Doubtful the insurance company would give you the price for new seats. They generally deduct for normal wear and tear. This coming from a guy that works with insurance companies almost daily in the body shop trade.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My policy specifically mandates new parts. What they want to pay, and what they are bound to pay, likely wont be the same thing lol

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
The Suzuki EPC does not indicate the seat as a fully assembled item - rather the part numbers are listed for the bottom cushion, bottom cover, back cushion, back cover and headrest. This does not include any of the hardware that is needed to assemble these items. Frankly, I don't know how your insurance company will deal with this - the parts are apparently 'available' at the dealer. For example, here is for the bottom seat cover:
Suzuki Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
And for the bottom of the seat:
Suzuki Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
That's listed as almost $600 for the seat bottom and cover....I would be interested to see how the insurance company deals with this. Just for your info, here are the part numbers:
bottom cushion - 85105-56B10
Bottom cover - 85180-56B20-B8G
Back 'sub' - 85305-56B10
Back cover - 85380-56BA0-B8G
Headrest - 86401-56Bl0-6VE

The total of the separate above components is somewhere in the area of $1100!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bex. How did you get the part numbers for the seat components that werent tracks?

Looks like two bottom covers and foam totals 1200 bucks...

Insurance company is going to be a bit annoyed.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
I have the Suzuki EPC on a little Windows partition that is a PIA to get to, but was curious about how the seats were dealt with. Every screw, plastic cover, track, bolt, etc., is listed separately. I'm curious as to how your insurance company will deal with this. There are 'universal' seats (and again most replacement seats will need modding because of the existing tracks) on the internet for about $150. Your 'negotiation' skills may be put to the test here!! ;)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised those seat parts are still available.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My vehicle sits every night at my house, doors unlocked, keys in the ignition. It would be unwise for a thief to make an appearance where I live, there arent any teenagers...or anyone who would need to steal something, so anyone leaving the hwy to get here wouldnt go unnoticed.

Pretty sure it was a kid.

As for the seats, I have no problem modifying the rails. Been looking at patriot seats, Im going to take a few measurements today. Just curious as to how the insurance company will value the old seats.

As for insurance, its insured for a few thousand over value, because of deer. They have a tendency of running in front of, and into the sides of, anything I happen to be driving.

Just really wish I knew a value of a new seat. That eay I had some idea going in.
Sorry to hear that! You might be better off not using your insurance, they seem to jack the price up after you have a loss.

Thieves are the worst, probably better you didn't catch them. I always worried that I would be the one going to jail when all was said and done.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Considering he would have had my pocket knife, not a jury in this state would convict....even if I beat him senseless lol

Checking it all out noe, they bent the side of the radio prying the screen off. So even if I get that back, needs to be replaced.

So right now its anywhere from a 600$ to 1600$ claim. Oh joy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Insurance company offered 150 per seat tp find used seats. My response... nope. Perfect condition oem seats arent easy to come by.

Cheapest quote for reupholstery...900. The next for oem lower covers with foam repair....800. And so on and so forth

Armed with estimates, they realized it wasnt worth the hassle.

Whole driving tp the upholstery shop, I realised there was a better and cheaper seat swap available.

First gen scion xb bucket seats are comfortable and close in size.

Was able to get three locally for cheap. The last required a roadtrip to houston. But, Ive got four buckets in the shop.

The swap actually looks really easy. Two brackets to fab, then weld the brackets to the xb sliders.

The kick sliders are closer together, but bolt to the floor within an eigth inch of the scion rails.

Pics when done.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Whole driving tp the upholstery shop, I realised there was a better and cheaper seat swap available.

First gen scion xb bucket seats are comfortable and close in size. ...

Pics when done.
The only picture of 1st Gen Scion xB seats (2003-2007) I could find with a quick search:

I'll be interested in your results. Yes, Pictures please! :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike,

The brackets are stupid simple to make.

I took a piece of 1.25 x 3/8 stock, bent the ends downward to make legs for the sides closest to the driver door. For the side near the trans tunnel, a piece of flat stock with one 1.25in end bent at 80 degrees works great.

Pics tomorrow. Need an extra cutoff wheel to remove the existing scion brackets.

The seats are a tight fit, and raise the seat height by an inch or so. More if you consider they arent 20 years old, and dont give nearly as much when sat in. Basically you eye height will change by 2-3 inches. An unavoidable issue, but Im a big guy, and the test fits revealed increased leg room...a nice trade off.

I'll take some pics as soon as one front side is done.

As for why the scion seats...they are firm with great lower back support, Ive spent 36+ hours in one with only fuel stops. The fact that my back nor ass was broken after the drive is a testament to them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice seats, can't wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doing a sit fit for half an hour...so I figured Id upload some pics.

I have removed the scion seat belt. If you are sure your moubts wont fail in an accident, they wont. And you are sure that your bolts wont shear, Im not. You can unbolt the scion seat belt, and bolt the sidekick seatbelts to the seat. Unfortunately, I dont have a decent local outlet for quality bolts.

The existing scion seat mounts that are pinned, welded, and epoxied to the sliders are annoying to remove.

Once removed and set on my rails, I realized the right rear bolt caused a clearance issue with how far rear ward the seat sliders could be mounted. But, by mounting the seat as close to the center console as possible, you can mount the slider an additional 2 inches rearward, even more of you clearance the seat stop.

After sitting in it to type this, I like the positioning and am going to work out a fix for the seat belt and weld them in position on the brackets.

Another benefit, the slider system is very compact, lots more storage under the seat now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I put Honda Prelude seats in my old Samurai. Huge improvement over stock, but I'm pretty happy with the original seats in the Sport. Here are the Prelude seats....

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This just shows the adjustability forward and rearward before removal for final tacks and paint. Fits good.

Any thoughts?

Other side should go easily since I know what to expect now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts