Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Hardtop 3-door Tracker 1.6L 4WD 5-Speed No A/C
998 Posts
While it may be a matter of curiosity, there is no difference between the 94 and 95 8v engines, IIRC.
Well I'm curious. If the engines are the same, why would someone replace the dashboard when replacing the engine? Just nothing else to do? That's as much work as replacing the engine!

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
He's got a '95 body. We need to figure out what engine he has. The VIN on the DASH MIGHT tell us.
The VIN on the dash won't tell you any more about the engine than you could learn from looking at it. You can assume it's the same year as either one of the VINs, but that would be nothing more than an assumption, it could even have come from a third vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
26,736 Posts
Well I'm curious. If the engines are the same, why would someone replace the dashboard when replacing the engine? Just nothing else to do? That's as much work as replacing the engine!
I don’t see any confirmation in this thread that the engine was replaced??

·
Super Moderator
26,736 Posts
The fact that "they" repainted the chassis, but did not paint over the chassis VIN plate, suggests that they knew what they were doing.
Where did you read that? The VIN on the TITLE would indicate what’s on the chassis. I don’t see any indication in this thread that anyone has actually looked at the number on the chassis.

Reactions: danielmintoncca

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
The fact that "they" repainted the chassis, but did not paint over the chassis VIN plate, suggests that they knew what they were doing.
Where did you read that? The VIN on the TITLE would indicate what’s on the chassis. I don’t see any indication in this thread that anyone has actually looked at the number on the chassis.
There have been a number of times (including this post) that I have had to scroll back through the thread wondering "how did I miss this" or "does this guy just dream stuff up"?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Perhaps I mis-interpreted this. To me it says, the body was painted over and has a different VIN that the DASHBOARD VIN.

<<Looks like they kept the 1994 windshield/dash with the VIN on the title. But the body has been resprayed pink over teal 1995 with a different VIN.>>

If the body was painted over, and he can read the chassis VIN, to me that means they did not paint over the chassis VIN intentionally.

- Dan

·
Super Moderator
26,736 Posts
Simply put, the title has the 1994 VIN. The dash has the 1994 VIN. The chassis has the 1994 VIN (assuming no chassis swap). The door has a 1995 VIN as there was a body swap. No one has looked at the chassis, and the color of the car is somewhat immaterial when it comes to what VIN matches with what.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The VIN on the dash will tell you what engine went with the body (and frame from the donor vehicle). He’s got the 8v engine, which he knows. Engine number is level with the oil filter, at the rear of the engine just in front of tranny bellhousing. Tranny number is on top of tranny, just behind the bellhousing, if you’re interested in checking that. While it may be a matter of curiosity, there is no difference between the 94 and 95 8v engines, IIRC.
Correct.....I bought a low mile wrecked 95 2WD to swap into my daughter's 94. Sounds like they may have sectioned the body at the door posts, possibly? if crashed in rear, it might have been.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that the VIN is meant to correspond with the chassis. The original VIN number on the title will correspond with the chassis number and not the number on the dash.
One of the more noticeable differences between the 94 and 95 top will be the way it attaches to the front bow which sits over the windshield. In the 89 to 94 the bow and top use sliding clips. On the 95 to 98, the bow and top has snaps. Additionally, there is a difference at the rear of the car. The earlier tops do not have zip out side windows. The 89 to 94 rear window piece will be slightly longer, as it attaches to the car with a fiberglass rod, while the 95 to 98 have an additional plastic bracket that runs on top of the tailgate.
I believe the registered number to the car comes from the vin visible from the windshield left side. This is where law enforcement can see it, and where you should always check the vin against the title on a used car. If the windshield vin is fine, it could be the shell was good, and the old body was roached, or doors with different vins just came off another car for rust repair, nothing illegal. if that window vin does not match, you will run into problems selling or junking, will have to explain the situation to the state, and possible get a new bonded title that matches the windshield vin.best of luck

·
Registered
998 Posts
You are correct. For legal purposes, if the VIN on the paperwork and the VIN on the DASH are the same, you are all set.

The problem comes in IF the body and/or the engine are different from what the VIN on the DASH says it is. Then you end up lookijng for the wrong parts or having incompatibilities..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts