Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Angus Junior-2004 Vitara LX, 2,5 V6, 5 speed, 159k miles. Driven daily!
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd pass this along. I had to go to Mississippi this past weekend to pick up our new ShiTzu puppy. First plan was to fly into Memphis, pick up a rental car at the airport and drive one way back to DC. The flight was no problem, but due to the shortage of rental cars there were none to be had. So, I had to drive down and drive back.

I did 1800 miles in my Vitara over the weekend. Mainly down I-81 and I-40 to Memphis, then back roads to Holly Springs, MS which was the final destination. Picked up our new 8 week old puppy and started heading back. It took 15 hours to go down, and 19 to come back (I was carrying precious cargo and traffic and the weather was bad coming back)

I've driven the Vitara for distances of 2-3 hours at a time, but never for such a long trip before. It performed splendidly, didn't burn a drop of oil either. It ran at speeds of 70-85 mph the entire trip too. AC was great, it was actually pretty comfortable too. And the V-6 reminded me of Alfas I'd owned-they really come alive over 3000 rpm. And the new puppy had plenty of space to rest in-throw down the back seats and it's a perfect puppy kennel.

Thought I'd share this-that Vitara is rock solid reliable, dependable and performs pretty well as a road trip car.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great info DC. I drove my Tracker (2003, V-6, Auto) back from Long Beach, California to Houston, Texas in the late summer of 2019. Same speeds for me, but crossing parts of the California and Arizona deserts during the day was a little iffy. A/C performed well, but outside temps of 98+ really worked it. My Tracker leaks oil from the front and rear seals, so steady rpm's of 2800 - 3300 really coated the undercarriage. I stopped in a little town somewhere in Arizona right at dark to get some fuel. With all the oil leaking I was about a quart low, and smoke was coming up around the vehicle from oil on the exhaust. I went inside to grab a quart while filling up. When I walked back out, a local had pulled up and said "It looks like you killed it". I said nah, it's just an oil leak. He just shook his head and drove off LOL!! Made it back to Houston and it is still running strong!!! Somewhere around 198,000 miles now. I will be pulling the motor this fall to R&R the numerous oil leaks, water pump, timing chain and guides if needed, and reseal the oil pan(s).

Stay safe.
Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts