Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Geo Tracker about a month ago. Im just curious if there is anything I need to know about them. Do they got any trademark quirks ?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
What year and engine? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
It's a good idea to put your car specs (year, engine, transmission) into your signature.
Two basic things are to make sure that your check engine light is on with the key on, and off once the car is running.
And to check the frame, particularly at the rear suspension and gas tank, for rust. Sadly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I put everything in my signature. Do they make replacement rear fender wells for the geos. Mine has rust right around the bottom of the fender well where the previous owner tried to turn it into a truck for some reason.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
While not really a "trademark quirk", something that many seem to be confused with is:

-- It is NOT all wheel drive. --

It is a PART Time 4 wheel drive system. There isn't any center differential so 4x4 can only be used on surfaces with some "slip" to avoid damage to the system. Seems odd to people who have gotten used to All Wheel Drive (AWD) but a part time system is better for worse conditions.

If you do not know the difference, learn.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Do they got any trademark quirks? YES, just read thru the subject lines of these posts...rust, electrical, grounds, ECUs, no starts, poor MPG, Check Engine lights, on and on and on. But when they run, they run like fun!
Get to know this website Common-problems

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Do they make replacement rear fender wells for the geos.
No. The rear fender is actually a part of the rear tub, and is not something that will come off without cutting and welding a new piece on. You would need to either cut a similar part off of another Tracker/Sidekick or else weld a patch on to the area that you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I didn't figure there would be replacement panels. I stripped the carpet and sound dampening from the floor and found more rust than I thought it had. Im gonna go to the foundary Monday and see if they have some metal to make patch panels. Then when its all fixed Im going to rhino line or use some sort of sealer on the bottom of the tub and on the inside to keep it from coming back. Its just gonna be a toy to hunt and fish out of and occasionally trail ride. I figure I might as well fix the rust while Im saving up for the rebuild kit for the motor.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Most of the body panels should be available from Suzuki, the rear fender well is called the 'Rear Wheel Housing'
RHS = 62210-56B00
LHS = 62310-56B00

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ill look into that. I really like the ol geo and I wanna build it to last for years. I cant wait to take the top off and ride in the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Those part numbers come up as rear inner wheelhouses, no?? Rather than the outer fender (or what would be called 'wing' perhaps in the UK??) In the body section of the EPC, it shows doors, front fenders (wings), hoods, tailgates, etc., as all separate and replaceable components, but the rear of the car from the doors back as one piece....????

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Hmm, yeah, maybe. Funnily enough, with all the rust in my car, the rear wheel wells (looking from inside the car) and the tranny tunnel look like they just came out of the factory. There is just a small amount of rust - easily patchable - where the rear wheel wells meet the floor pan inside the car. Everything else is falling apart.....:(

By the way, when I needed the front wheelhousing by the battery, that part as well was listed as 'discontinued' in some catalogs, but I found one sitting in a Suzuki warehouse in Italy. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is rusted out where the rear inner fender well meets the floor pan. I guess I should have been more specific. I think the reason it is rusted so bad is because the previous owner tried to make a truck out of it and when it rained it soaked up behind the panels that cover the sides of the tub.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
It's both. New number and discontinued. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts