Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - first day on the forum, first day as a Sidekick owner. A '95 4-door jx.

I got it pretty cheap ($350!) in part because the headlights don't work on low or high beam. However, the blue high beam indicator on the dash will light IF (and only if) I pull the lever towards me to flash the passing beams. Even so, the lights themselves show no signs of life.

Fuses look ok. Could it be a relay, bad wiring, or two headlights both blown on high and low beam?? That last one seems very unlikely. I'm not familiar with the relays on this car, but it seems that if the indicator lights up blue, there is power to the headlights, right??

Thanks - looking forward to taking this up in the hills before the snow all melts off!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,670 Posts
The lights are powered from the battery source and ground switched... Look for a bad ground... or open power source.

.... Philip

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
... the headlights don't work on low or high beam. However, the blue high beam indicator on the dash will light IF (and only if) I pull the lever towards me to flash the passing beams. ...

... or two headlights both blown on high and low beam?? That last one seems very unlikely. ...
_IF_ this is a single problem, not a bunch that have been allowed to accumulate, the only Items that effect BOTH beams of BOTH headlights is the switch and the ground. But you say that the high beam indicator does work... but in "pass" (visual horn) only. (But It doesn't come on when you push the turn signal stalk forward into high beam?)

I doubt this is a single problem but it gets simpler (fewer things need to be bad at once) as I am looking at my diagram....

First you know that the TracKick headlights are GROUND switched?

-- correct? --

This means that power is applied to the headlights AT ALL TIMES and a ground is supplied to allow current to flow... lighting the desired filaments. If you truly understand this, you can troubleshoot by grounding any point "down-stream" of the filament and the light should light up. BUT if you DO NOT truly understand this, do not try it... for safety reasons.

There is a link to a Maintenance manual in this thread so you should be able to find a diagram:
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/49413-service-manuals-technical-parts-library-information.html

The circuits for all four filaments (plus the indicator that is connected in parallel with the left high beam) is pretty much separate at one point or another all the way from fuses to the Hi/Low/pass switch.

Seams the ground for BOTH beams of BOTH headlights is routed from the Hi/Low switch and then through the lighting switch (I am fairly sure these are both in the same "combination" switch on the steering column.) But here is the kicker... in "pass" the ground is NOT routed through the lighting switch. It goes directly from the Hi/Low/pass part of the switch to the pin (20) to the grounding point. This is most likely where the indicator light is getting its ground.

It looks to me like you have both HIGH beam bulbs bad and a bad combo switch. But if the indicator DOES come on when you push the turn signal stalk forward into high beam, I'd expect that all your filaments (Hi/Low, right and left) are bad. It isn't as unlikely as it seems if someone is driving something until it drops.... then selling it.

As I suspect you high beams are bad. replace one (or both) bulb(s) and see what it does. Then trouble shoot the next problem. It is also quite possible that someone has been in there trying to "fix" it and has "confused" the issue. Many otherwise excellent mechanics have a hard time with ground switched circuits.

OBTW: Like most stock headlight systems, there are no relays in the TracKick headlight circuit. But I think there should be ;)

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
Do your hazard lights work While you have separate fuses for the left and right headlight, they are connected to the main fuse box in the engine compartment, just by the battery, by a yellow/white wire - this also powers your hazard lights. There is a 40 amp fuse there, that runs the headlights and the hazards. So, question, do your hazard lights work?
The ground for the headlights is the black wire just about the fuse box under the dash, running from the combi switch.
The lights on the dash (like the blue light for flashing the brights) works off of an entirely different circuit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you M000035!
Didn't know it was ground switched. I do know how to check w my multimeter then. Good to know!
I made a mistake on the blue dash high beam indicator: it does come on if I have the lights switched on AND move lever forward for high beams. And it comes on if I pull the lever towards me for momentary passing indicator. But the headlights never come on.
Running lights and brake/tail/turn lights all working fine.
Glad to know there are no relays! Gave my son fits in his Blazer.
Where do the lights get their (always on) hot lead? If I can check that at the source I'll at least know they are being fed juice.

Deeply appreciate the insights on where to look. I'll post an update after a little work on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hazards working fine, so we have power

Do your hazard lights work
Great info Bex! I just checked; the hazard flashers work fine, front and rear. And you just answered my question about where they get their juice, so I wish I had read your reply before I responded above. Now on to testing the bulbs and grounds. I'll report back with progress soon.:cool:

Rick

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS - I am amazed and grateful for the fast, quality help you are providing. These forums are lifesavers, especially for noobs like me. Thanks for helping me get the old girl up and back on the road (or OFF the road!) again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
power to the light socket OK

I checked the power to the light socket with a voltmeter. I have 12v+ from the white/blue to solid red wire when in low beams, and 12v+ from the white/blue to red/white in hi beam. So it looks like maybe it is bad bulbs. However, the bulb looks just fine - no visible breaks or burning.

photo of connector at Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
pin wire colors, L to R:
1. white/blue 2. red/white 3. red
Low beams - 1=12v+ lead, 2= common lead 3= dead
High 1=12v+, 2= dead, 3= common lead

That seems backwards. Shouldn't common go to the white/blue for positive voltage even ground switched? Should I try a replacement bulb in there, or will I blow it somehow if the voltage is reversed?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,670 Posts
In ground switched circuits the B+ connects to the common, the bulb is activated when the grounds are completed...
You should be reading 12vdc at all contacts on bulb, with the HL switched off..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, as Aqua says, with the switch for the lights off, you will have 12v battery voltage on all wires going into the headlamp (white/blue, white/ red from the fuse, and red/white and red wires going to the switch - assuming the bulbs are good). But once you turn the switch on, you should have no voltage on the red/white or red wires going to the switch. The switch provides the ground, and when the switch is activated, the ground is now the red/white and red wire.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
... the blue dash high beam indicator: it does come on if I have the lights switched on AND move lever forward for high beams. And it comes on if I pull the lever towards me for momentary passing indicator. But the headlights never come on. ....
I bet you have two bad headlight bulbs with both filaments bad in each.

I can see it on a neglected rig. "Drive it until it drops!" :lol:

OBTW: If you are cheap (like me) and do not have something to borrow a bulb from, buy one and try it in both sides.

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
Easy enough to apply 12v to either headlight directly to see if they work??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem solved. Cracked socket

Well, I found that one bulb socket was damaged, and replaced it. The other bulb showed no visible signs of damage, but I replaced it with a new one and, presto! lights.

Thank you to everyone who pitched in. Apparently the voltages shown were correct because everything works now with a flick of the switch, both high and low beams.

I'm loving this new little car. Now to investigate why it pops out of 4H. That's a different thread...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts