Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have noticed that this topic has been repeated quite a few times but i believe that my issue is different. I have an 2006 Suzuki Forenza that i just purchased a week ago. The car worked perfectly fine i drove it 50 miles from the location to my house worked like a dream. new tires and got it for a steal with only 75k. After a week the car started to jerk when put into reverse and drive. the letters on the dash board would dissapear and come back on. now the car is not even moving im taking it to midas tommorrow. Im really worried as i have spent all my savings on this car, If its the transmission i will not be able to afford it. its not even moving now it use to work and slowly it kept getting worse and now its not working at all. do you think that the transmission just goes out like that in an one week span?.. Please help any opinion would be very helpful. i just dont think the transmission would go out in an week of me getting the car...but then again im not a mechanic.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi welcome to the forum!! i would think that the problem is the transmission range sensor from the way your describing the trouble. are there any trouble lights on on the dash? if so have you had anyone read them? what were the codes? the thread about the TRS can be found here
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-forenza-reno-forum/35284-transmission-range-sensor-all-you-need-11.html#post343718
read through the whole thread and see what you think. now obviously im not there looking at the car and im not a licensed mechanic so i cant say anything for sure. it could always be another kind of transmission problem. but from your description i would guess its the TRS. with any part on any car you would be lucky to get a warning of it going bad, even if its just a weeks worth. a transmission can work when you park a car and not work when you go back out to move the car. the transmission range sensor is around $60 i think, and ive seen used transmissions selling for around $200 on ebay. but before you worry about price find out what the problem is. let us know how it works out. any other questions just ask. good luck!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!.. There are no lights on the dash board. the car worked perfectly and then it was getting confused in which gear to go to after 4, 5 days of driving it. i read through the whole transmssion range sensor thread but my car is basically not even moving now. like i put it in p and thats it..wont go into drive reverse or anything. the dash light says D but it dosent go into D..Does that make sense? :huh:

hi welcome to the forum!! i would think that the problem is the transmission range sensor from the way your describing the trouble. are there any trouble lights on on the dash? if so have you had anyone read them? what were the codes? the thread about the TRS can be found here
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-forenza-reno-forum/35284-transmission-range-sensor-all-you-need-11.html#post343718
read through the whole thread and see what you think. now obviously im not there looking at the car and im not a licensed mechanic so i cant say anything for sure. it could always be another kind of transmission problem. but from your description i would guess its the TRS. with any part on any car you would be lucky to get a warning of it going bad, even if its just a weeks worth. a transmission can work when you park a car and not work when you go back out to move the car. the transmission range sensor is around $60 i think, and ive seen used transmissions selling for around $200 on ebay. but before you worry about price find out what the problem is. let us know how it works out. any other questions just ask. good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
17,646 Posts
Have you first checked for trans fluid leaks (pinkish oil on the ground) and determined whether the level is down based on the dip stick reading?:huh:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
there is no dipstick for the transmission. its considered a "closed system". usually when the transmission get "confused" its the TRS. but like i said theres always the possibility that it is the transmission. a couple of people on the forum have had transmission trouble but i believe with the newer models. does the shifter move into "D", im assuming it does. if the TRS goes bad the transmission wont know what gear to move into or what gear it actually in. it might say "D" but shift into "R" or between gears, so theres a contradiction in the system. the car not moving at all has also happened befor when its been the TRS. unless youve had a leak or a bad hose the TRS is the cheapest to fix. if thats not it theyre probably going to have to pull the transmission and open it up. you need to try and get someone to take a look at it.in the meantime look for any leaks under the car. the auto trans is hooked up to a trans cooler in the radiator. there are two hoses from the trans to the radiator, check them also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys. Max there is no dipstick the hoses are the way..i had to tow the car to the garage when it stopped working..Basically what happend was it was having issues and then one morning when i was going to take it to the mechanic it wouldnt move turned off the car waited for a few minutes then it got in gear again...Im 70% sure its the TRS..but i havent checked for leaks and unfortunatley i cant until the guy checks the car out...but i did notice some oil from the cap in front of the engine but it wasnt major and i have seen it on a few cars..im sure its not that though because i checked the oil level it was midway almost to the low..but still had oil..its in D and the car starts perfectly..but just dosnet want to move even after you put it in D..

anyways again thanks for the reply guys!

The reason im bothering you guys is because i'm like really worried..College student with not a lot of budget to dop a grand on a new transmission. thought its a good car it was 2006 with 75k on it..didnt think i would have problems..just need it to go from POINT A to POINT B ..

Suzuki fails in my opinion might sell the car if the repair is over 400

there is no dipstick for the transmission. its considered a "closed system". usually when the transmission get "confused" its the TRS. but like i said theres always the possibility that it is the transmission. a couple of people on the forum have had transmission trouble but i believe with the newer models. does the shifter move into "D", im assuming it does. if the TRS goes bad the transmission wont know what gear to move into or what gear it actually in. it might say "D" but shift into "R" or between gears, so theres a contradiction in the system. the car not moving at all has also happened befor when its been the TRS. unless youve had a leak or a bad hose the TRS is the cheapest to fix. if thats not it theyre probably going to have to pull the transmission and open it up. you need to try and get someone to take a look at it.in the meantime look for any leaks under the car. the auto trans is hooked up to a trans cooler in the radiator. there are two hoses from the trans to the radiator, check them also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts