Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a samurai as a project about a month ago. Havent really had a chance to look at it but the motor is shot. He said something about the piston ring in the 3rd cylinder or something like that. It cranks when I turn the key. He said the only way to start it is to put gas in the carburetor but once it starts rolling it'll shut off. I was wondering if it sounds like the piston ring is actually what's wrong with it or if could be something else.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
One of the common problems with the carbureted Samurai (I assume that is what you have...) is a damaged mechanical pump. The diaphragm can be perforated from old age and can pump fuel into the crankcase which thins out the oil and cause excessive wear. Naturally, a damaged fuel pump can also reduce fuel flow...

One of the telltales of this problem is dirt buildup on the breather tube on the fuel pump itself. Details on this can be seen at Ack's FAQ Samurai 1.3 Mechanical Fuel Pump Symptoms - Gasoline and Oil Leaks at Vent Tube.

Alternatively, you might also have a perforation in the fule line which would prevent sufficient fuel flow - the mechanical pump sucks the fuel from the tank to the engine compartment. Any holes in the fuel line will pull air into the system and prevent a steady flow of fuel to the engine.

I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check on those. From my understanding it quit running when they were stuck in a mud hole

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
lots of sources of mechanics to answer your question and what piston rings do.

"piston ring is actually what's wrong " no it is not.

The mud hole part adds the possibility the motor was hydro locked.

sounds like it time to just replace the motor which also give opportunity to add power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you can do that . usually cheaper to replace the motor. that is why you don't see shops rebuilding engines. customers are not willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
nobody online can tell you the problems of any motor. that requires testing of the parts.

piston rings seal the cylinder and if they don't then engine smokes and runs poorly but it will run. it is a sign of poor maintenance and severe engine wear not worth repairing.

when a seller says something like this it means they know a lot about mechanics. maybe a mechanic themselves or an amateur. and if they are selling it and don't want to fix it neither do you.

sound like they took it in water which entered the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts