Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a samurai.
It had been sitting for a couple years, but is in really decent shape.
Its got a shackle lift, a breeze steering stabilizer, and a few other suspension mods. Its not too bad of a ride for its height, i was surprised.

The engine is a stock 86 1.3L Samurai Engine, it runs strong once you're done messing around with the carb to get it started...

Which brings me to my problem. I am trying to figure out what steps i should take first to get this samurai to be a reliable daily driver. I understand it will take work.

I am going to be working on it with my Dad who is mechanically inclined, but you guys have a lot of up-to-date experience, which i find very helpful.

Any suggestions on what my priorities should be?
What modifications are crucial first steps for a daily driver?

All of you're help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome, thats a mighty purdy rig there.

There has been recent discussion on converting the carb over to a Corolla carb, its worth a read.

Make sure everything is serviced, tight and working. Other more seasoned Samurai gurus will probably chime in to.

Tony

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get yourself a copy of the (downloadable) service manual. A google search will show you where. Become practiced in finding information by searching. Almost everything you may want to know has (almost certainly) been discussed many times over in the last 20 years.
Get your rig running as well as it can before making any changes. There's no point in making expensive and time-consuming upgrades to the engine if it's got low compression, for example. Start by replacing all fluids with new. That way, you'll start out at a known maintenance point and you may gain some information about your vehicle's condition. Don't forget plugs and wires (I like the NGKs from lowrangeoffroad). Use your newly-acquired FSM to indicate which oils and fluids are recommended by the manufacturer. [Opinion: Carburetors are a PITA, and even the OEM Suzuki carb is no exception. Don't expect to solve all your problems by installing a different carb.] The EFI engines are said to run (much) better, and I've had no problems (yet) with mine.
Fill in your profile location so you can get more targeted advice. I'm in CA with very strict smog regulations; yours may be different.

·
Registered
80 Posts
read tru the first 30 pages of this forum and you will learn alot or something you didnt know. i did and learn a few thinngs about them also youtube has videos of the history about them from japan but sub in english. im a auto tech so i know alot but every car is diffrent in there own ways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice tintop. I almost bought one but not all my surfboards would fit inside.:D
The zip out window works pretty well for hauling 2x4s to.

I got a 1600 8v with petroworks adapter. It runs reliably. Not much power though but I think it is enough.

I would totally go with TDI! That is what I will go with when this motor has run its course..

·
Registered
2 Posts
carb up grade

Nice tintop. I almost bought one but not all my surfboards would fit inside.:D
The zip out window works pretty well for hauling 2x4s to.

I got a 1600 8v with petroworks adapter. It runs reliably. Not much power though but I think it is enough.

I would totally go with TDI! That is what I will go with when this motor has run its course..
go with my side cv carb kit-love mine went from 15.15 to 22.0-22.4.better than the hitachi carb-so much misery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts