Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just swapped in a 8v 1600 in my 88sammy and am looking for an aftermarket ignition system, any ideas other than stock, but simple drop in and bolt on?

·
Super Moderator
17,840 Posts
How about some... ;)

Seriously, like Fordem...what's the problem w/stock? Even if available, I don't think that you'll get your money's worth on "Performance" parts on a stock set-up.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
I'm pretty certain you get both of those with the stock system.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Run a set of E3's fed by 9mm wires . Add a 50,000v coil.
Not sure if anyone ever bothered to build an aftermarket dizzy for the Zuke motor.
As to the rev limiter: 88 did not have one that I am aware of.
You can purchase a limiter from Pertronix.
Digital Rev Limiter

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
It's an 88 Sami with an 8v 1.6, which would have been fuel injected from the factory, so unless he has changed that, it will have a rev limiter. I would also suggest caution if considering any high energy coils with the standard ignitor.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If he's running the efi you would be correct. If he's running the carb . Not so much.
I assume that his need for a rev limiter means that he's running the carb.
Which in turn means an H.E. Coil will have no effect on the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
I believe it's a little more than just a trigger - if I'm not mistaken the ignitor is built into the distributor - now - if he uses the stock distributor to trigger an external ignition amplifier, he'd be safe there - BUT - apart from the rev limiter, I don't think there is anything to be gained, the stock ignition systems have been proven more than adequate.

The other thing to be aware of is that these engines are going to "run out of breath" long before they hit red line, making a limiter virtually useless.

These are the reasons I started my response with the questions I did - I like to make sure my money's well spent - there are lots of people who accessorize vehicles just because they can - I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes the igniter is built into the dizzy. It is the trigger (slang term ) in this context.
An H.E. coil will not effect its ability to trigger the discharge of the high voltage side of the coil.
Advantage: hotter spark = cleaner burn = better performance.
Do you ever run you're rig in low range?
Over reving is a very common problem with Zukes.
A rev limiter is a very very good idea.....
I agree that there are a tone of useless "upgrades" out there.
A rev limiter is not one of them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
juice alternative

Yes all my samis are 88, and dont have a limiter, as for a dizzy, can you explain and how do i hook up a rev limiter and how much does it cost you figure?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts