Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a vitara jlx 1994 and it doesn't have cruise control installed but in it's original manual it does mention about cruise control but it says: If installed.

So I am guessing that some jlx have cruise control and others don't?

If that is the case, is it possible for me to install cruise control on my car and if so where can I buy a cruise control kit for it?

Thanks =)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If you go back a few pages you will find a thread discussing the fitment of cruise control.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Cruise Control was an option. I had thought all TracKicks had the wiring but have found that is not the case. That said, it is quite likely your JLX has the wiring for the stock CC.

If you have the wiring, it shouldn't be that hard to add CC... if you can find the parts. I haven't seen ANY TracKicks with cc units in the junkyards around here. (Great North Wet USA) Due to this I have been collecting information and parts to use non-Suzuki parts for a Junkyard CC. http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/110962-junkyard-cruise-control.html

But if you want to do a stock system, you'll need several parts:
-- CC actuator from under the hood with cable passing through the firewall to the gas petal inside the car.
-- The gas petal with the mounting for the cable.
-- The CC control unit, mounted on the side of the steering column. This is the same for both manual and three speed automatics, but different for the 4 speed auto.
-- The whole switch cluster on the steering column. You might be able to disassemble and mix and match different parts to get the features you want... I do not know.

After looking for the parts for a stock cc unit... I am working on the Junkyard system (linked above) using more available GM parts. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response Mike,

What kind of wiring should I be looking to know whether my JLX will fit a stock CC??

Also, if my car doesn't have the wiring how easy will it be to install a rostra 250-1223??
And if it it does have the wiring for the stock CC do you know if I will still be able to instal the rostra 250-1223?

Thanks again for your response! =)

Andre

1994 Suzuki Vitara JLX Soft top 2 Door

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
As you do not state your location, I haven't a clue of what hand drive your 1994 Suzuki Vitara is. So I'll be a bit generic...

If your rig has the CC wiring, it will have a couple of un-used plugs. There will be a four pin plug in the engine bay near the stock location for the CC actuator. I have seen these on either fender just forward of the shock tower. My '89 Sidekick JLX (US spec, left hand drive) and my '96 JX Sport (Canadian Spec, left hand drive) are both on the left. Check both sides looking for it. This plug should have four yellow wires (Y/R,Y/W,Y/B,Y/G).

There should also be a plug near the steering column. This plug is 13 pin for MT and 3 speed auto, and 18 pin for the 4 speed auto. (The CC and transmission computers "talk" to each other... the reason for more pins.)

There is plug for the CC power switch near the other dash switches.

NOTE I forgot to have the CC power switch in my parts list above.

If your car has the wiring it should make it easier to install any CC unit, as all the signals have been collected to one place. I am thinking it would be nice to find a connector to just plug in... rather than modifying the wiring. I haven't been that successful.

I do not know for sure how to connect the Rostra unit. I expect it to need the same inputs as my junkyard units, but think they also use the tach signal. Years ago I looked at a PDF of the installation manual, IIRC, the instructions should be rather straight forward. I seem to remember that they have interesting ways of connecting to the different throttle bodies rather than the Suzuki way of connecting at the gas petal. (Most cars connect at the throttle body.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike, thanks so much for that information, I will have to have a look on my JLX!

I am from Australia so my car is a right hand drive!

Thanks again for the time to explain that to me =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts