Suzuki Forums banner

Jimny Tyres

19K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Rhinoman 
#1 ·
Hi, I've recently discovered the joys of Jimny and got hold of a 2007 JLX+ in the North East UK - loving it, didn't know what I'd been missing.

I'm looking for some new tyres - stock 205/70R50 bridgestone dueller's fitted.
Use will be mainly road, some trail and road winter snow/ice (has got a lot worse the last couple of years).

Was thinking of getting toyo Open Country A/T's but these are only available in sizes 205/75R15 or 215/70R15.

As far as I'm aware the increase from a 70 profile to a 75 profile would increase the diameter by 7/8ths of an inch - I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue, but I'm no expert and would appreciate any feeback. Or, would the 215's fit - assume this means 10mm wider - what effect would that have, would it put excessive stress on sidewalls ????.

Have also picked up from the forum that many appear to like the General Grabber AT2 which appears to be a similar tyre to the toyo Open Country A/T, any feedback on users experiences would be most welcomed.

Thanks for reading my "essay" - but wanted to try and cover all points. :confused:
Hope you can help.

See less See more
#2 ·
i got a sierra and when i changed from the standard size tyre and rim package to 30 inch tyers and 15 inch rims it threw my spedo out as the tyre has further to rotate my spedo was 10kph slower than the speed i was doing. you are right on saying that the wider tyers on narrow rims does put stress on the side walls can't say how much

#3 ·
hi halford..
I also changed my tires from 205 to 215..with keeping the original rim ( R15)..its amazing and more stable on high ways, moreover a big difference on off road..my friend has also a jimny and he changed the tires to 235/ 70 /r15 cooper and its really amazing..you can change to 215 easily without replacing the rim or the lifts..

#4 ·
Thanks lokdzuk & mahmoodjimmi, your comments are most appreciated.

With regards to moving from a 70 to a 75 profile, the speedo upset had crossed my mind - there's a couple of "radar speed feedback signs" around here that signal your actual speed, so I'd be able to get a good handle of the speed difference.

Changing from 205 to 215 giving more road stability sound interesting, I must admit the increased traction that the wider footprint would offer on the road has an appeal.

I'm nearly convinced ......
whilst I don't think increasing from 205 to 215 would be a problem on this type of vehicle and the driving style it affords, this is the first time I've had this type of vehicle - I would never have entertained the idea of oversized tyres on a performance cars - but this is altogether different.

Hoping someone can help convince me .... (yes I know, I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure ...... :eek: )

cheers
Halford

#5 · (Edited)
...you can change to 215 easily without replacing the rim or the lifts..
On my '93 Samurai, a much earlier model, the stock tire is 205/70R15 and the vehicle easily accommodates the 215/75R15. I did that with AT-style tires and the improvement was worthwhile. Stock rim size (5.5") is OK for that small change. Using a GPS for speed calibration, I found that my speedo was actually somewhat more accurate with the slightly larger tire size. Mass produced speedometers are NOT high-precision devices (and neither are fuel gauges!). It wasn't until I installed 235/75's that the speedometer read spot-on.

#8 · (Edited)
... Did you change to 235/70R15 without any body lifting? ...
Some years ago on 215's, I'd installed OME springs F&R and the Petroworks HD shackles (and shocks). With those suspension changes I've still got plenty of vertical clearance for the 235's, but my left front tire sometimes rubs the front bumper support, a common problem, and will now need a small bit of clearancing. The OME springs are a lot softer and improved the ride immensely, which made the wife happier about riding in the Zuk. The right front seems to clear (no noise), but I'll probably clearance both sides. BFG claims my new 235/75R15 T/A KO tires are true 29's, but I've not measured to confirm. I'm on 15x7" AR-767 (no offset) steel wheels.

#9 ·
Jimny AT Tyre update

just found an excellent general forum from South Africa SA 4x4 Community Forum

also Tyre Size Calculator at Tire size calculator

stock Jimny AT Tyre Size Comparison

205/70-15 144mm Sidewall, 668mm Diameter, 477 Revs/km, 190mm Ground clearance (OEM fitted)
205/75-15 154mm Sidewall, 688mm Diameter, 462 Revs/km, 200mm Ground clearance
215/70-15 150mm Sidewall, 682mm Diameter, 467 Revs/km, 196mm Ground clearance
215/75-15 161mm Sidewall, 704mm Diameter, 452 Revs/km, 207mm Ground clearance

Larger sizes require bumper trimming / lifts

generally felt that fitting 205/75-15 gives a a softer and quieter ride

useful = thread on Tyres (general)
Tyre chat - SA 4x4 Community Forum

#10 ·
I ran 215/80r15s on a Jimny but they did catch on full articulation, 215/75s should be OK but you will notice a reduction in performance with any larger tyre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.