Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to have some technical detail about the need to have the rear wheels of a Jimny off the ground when towing. I currently tow a Jimny behind a Motorhome whilst touring in Australia. I use a two wheel trailer with the Jimny rear wheels off the ground for towing. I wish to tow the Jimny using an A frame as it is much more convenient but this would require all the Jimny wheels on the ground. The handbook specifies that this should not be done as it will wreak the transmission. I have heard of people towing Jimnys using A frames but I would like some explanation of the repercusions!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posting from a fellow Australian motorhomer, with exactly the same problem, except that I want to tow an automatic Jimny with an A-frame. Until now I’ve towed a front-wheel drive saloon on a dolly trailer, but now I want a 4WD, and I’d like to dispense with the half a ton of trailer.
It was easy with the Sierra: it had a transfer box with a neutral position.
For a Jimny, Suzuki says “No, can’t do it”. No further info.
There are a number of possible solutions, none confirmed yet, and none very elegant.
1. Fit free wheel hubs to the rear. A 4WD engineer in Maroochydore (near you bryanmccarthy) says “Anything is possible, but Oh! the expense!”
2. Retrofit a Sierra transfer box. A Suzuki spares dealer, also in Maroochydore, thinks that it should be a bolt-on replacement, but I have no confirmation of this. It might be terribly different.
3. Fit a free-wheel clutch (or some sort of drive-line disconnect) in the rear drive shaft. I have no idea where one might source such a thing.
If anyone has any useful ideas, PLEASE let’s have them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts