Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to keep this brief , but, as you will read, its not a typical conversion ive done.
Ive fitted a Baleno 1600 engine into a Vauxhall rear wheel drive car (used sj413 gearbox & adaptor plate).
Heres my problem - there is no room at the rear (bulkhead area) to allow just an angled thermo take off as is ok on say the Samurai conversions (where the thermo housing is left in place).
Ive made a relocating rail to relocate the WHOLE thermo /sensor / heater take off housing at the front (just above the alternator).
This me thinks is now causing some problems with air locks etc and other issues.

Ive read that the Baleno conversion can be done with the Jimny - and that the rear thermo housing doesnt exist on a Jimny (its in the normal place like a Vitara / Samurai - and has a blanking pate at the back of the head) .

Ive checked the Baleno manifold and the only place i can see where water is fed to it is at a small square plate just under the throttle body (with two small diameter rubber hoses - one of which feeds back to the water rail at the back of the water pump.

Would i be correct is assuming that the Jimny thermo take off is compatible - ie does it just replace the existing plate bolted to the baleno TB or would i need the whole TB .
iM Also assuming that i dont need the complete Jimny manifold, just the TB / associated water / thermo housing.

If its just the TB / thermo housing i need - are the sensors interchangeable (or the same as the Baleno) - on The Baleno TB there are two (the top throttle position sensor) and the lower one which i presume is something to do with cold start cos it fits in the water housing where those two rubber pipes are located.

ANY advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I think you would have to replace the entire manifold, ask the guys on Auszookers.com, there are a couple of guys there running Baleno engines in Jimnys.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - will check them out , though looking at the Baleno set up (i stripped it down today) it looks like i can "plumb in" the thermo housing between the water hose running to the throttle body - then just blank off the original outlet.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The K-series Rover engine had a remote mounted thermostat so a housing from one of those could be an option. If I remember rightly the thermostat should have a bypass hose to maintain circulation around the engine when the thermostat is closed, have you got one fitted?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it has a by pass hose , one small diameter hose exits from the manifold just in front of number 1 injector , this feeds the cold start ? (dont know the name for it) but its attached directly under the throttle body , then another small diameter hose exits this unit and feeds back into the cold water rail just behind the water pump (so this is the bypass).

I intend to splice one of these hoses and fit in a homemade unit to which i can bolt the Baleno thermo housing - hopefully that will do the trick .

I cant see any water jacket around the actual manifold ( like a vitara) and theres only one water outlet in the head (where the inlet manifold bolts to) - thats the small diameter bore as mentioned .

Next job is to sort out the gearbox noise - its sounded like a thrust bearing (goes completely when clutch depressed) so took off box , bearing seams ok (no noise when spun by hand) .
The splined gearbox input shaft has some slight play (side to side) and felt clunky when turned - but im not sure if that could be the cause - or it may be the flywheel bearing.
Ive always been concerned when using adaptor plates - that the input shaft may not be sitting properly in the flywheel bearing - or am i being too cautious ?

Any idea of what the problem might be - as i said it sounded like a duff thrust bearing (whirr & drone) , but its ok and was only put in last year anyway.

Cheers
Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts