Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did the current generation Jimny come out?

I want one really really bad, but i live in the united states.. I'm hoping Suzuki has plans to bring it over at some point... Maybe next time it gets redesigned they will?

Which makes me wonder how old is it? And how long until you think they will redesign it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the first European Market Jimny is 1998. Its already been facelifted a couple of times, plus a DOHC replaced the original SOHC 1.3L in 2002.
I had one for a while. It was loads of fun, basically a luxury version of the Samurai, the downpart being that its significantly heavier than the old Sammi.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It was around 1998/99. I would imagine that it will be replaced in the next few years, 10yrs is a long time for a car design and emissions and crash protection rules are getting tougher.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is it possible that Suzuki are not interested in marketing a (coil sprung) live axle mini 4x4 in the American market after the media slander campaign about instability when cornered sharply that destroyed the sales of the Samurai?

I understand that the Samurai/SJ413 was the largest selling convertible prior to the bad press.... I wonder if Detroit dirty tricks had anything to do with it?

I have had a couple of scary moments in my 99 Jimny (including the back flicking out around a corner in the wet at about 80kmh / 50mph and some nasty leans when off road) so I wonder if the marketing department and corporate lawyers at Suzuki are not prepared to risk the bad public relations and possible class action law suits for millions of dollars.

Sorry, but I think Detroit "made your bed" and is now forcing you to "lie in it" :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts