Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have following problem with my Jimny 2001 (1.3 l) that I bought 2 weeks ago. I know that previous owner had similar problems.

When I drive over 110 km/h for more than 2-3 minutes the engine starts to stall. I see that the rev counter jumps down to "0" (despite that the engine is turning as it is still on the 4 or 5th gear) and up to the correct rpm. If I slow down, after 10-15 seconds the engine works OK. If I don't slow, after a few more seconds the engine stops for good for something like one minute.

When the engine stalls I see the "check engine" and "immobilizer" light to flash.
I think that (check engine) flashes due to HC emission when the engine turns without ignition.

There are no problems of this type when I accelerate up to max rpm if it doesn't take too long time. Also nothing like that when I go slowly.

I suspect 'overheating" problems with ignition system elements or the computer. I see that at very low temperature the "stalling speed" is higher.

I would appreciate to get some hints from more experienced Jimny owners.

Best regards,

Jurek :mellow:

·
Registered
71 Posts
stall

at first I was thinking fuel pressure . at higher speeds it require more fuel and either a restrickted filter or weak pump could cause stalling but after I re-read the part about the tach going to zero. I think you should look closely at the distrubitor.. I think that is where ecm and dash tach get the rpm signal
let us know what you finally do to fix it
Squid

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Sounds like a bad camshaft position sensor, they are a known weak point on Jimnys. There is no distributor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
in usa

I am in the USA, they don't have the jimny here I just asumed they were like the samurai but the jimny seems to be more sophicated. does the ecm store fault codes? a bad cam or crank sensor should set a code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Yes, I will go to the workshop next week to read the codes. In my opinion this must be related to the temperature of certain electronic element of the ignition/engine control system.

Regards,
Jurek

·
Registered
71 Posts
orb2

unsure about overseas vehicles but All vehicles made for the USA market have a universal diagnostic connector called orb2. We can buy very inexpencive scantool which can read the codes in ECM and clear the code after the problem is fixed. most fault codes are easy to fix and don't require going to the dealer. don't be afraid try!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like the problem is related to the crank sensor. I will replace it tomorrow and we will see. No error codes but diagnoscope shows no ignition impulses when things happen.

Jurek

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I think Japanese built models have a Crankshaft Position Sensor as well as the Camshaft Position Sensor. I would expect the ECU to default to batch firing using the Cam Sensor if there was no output from the Crank Sensor.
Spanish built models with the G13BB engine only have a Cam Position Sensor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, definitely there was no signal in ECU of any type when problems started. Diagnoskope has shown no ignition pulses at all. Tomorrow I will probably see if right sensor was blamed.

I will let you know.

Best regards,

Jurek

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any way after 2 months it looks that new crankshaft Position Sensor solved the problem. In the meantime my Jimny has grown 2" and got nice winch. But now it is very front heavy and it doesn't help on bumpy roads.

Regards,
Jurek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, my G13bb has similar problem. Could it also be the Crankshaft position sensor? or could it also be the Camshaft position sensor? If it could be either, which one should I replace first?

My jimny also has another problem. sometime, after I start the engine the idle drops very low and come back up. this up and down continue until I give the throttle a few big push. It happens usually when the engine is cold. Does anyone have this kind of experience?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

in my case it was definitely the Crankshaft sensor. The mechanic used partable diagnostic monitor and was driving with me for nearly one hour. When the problem started, he got no reading of ignition pulses and decided (after my sugestion about sensors) that it looks like the crankshaft sensor. And definitely he was right as I have no problems any more. The sensor is not very easy to replace (difficult access) but it was done.

In my Jimny the idling is also not so stabile like in my Ford Mondeo, but it is not too bad also.

Let us know if changing the sensor helped.

Jurek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, is the level of difficulty of changing crankshaft sensor is accessibility? How difficult is to change the sensor alone when I have access to it? Do I need special tools? Do you or does anyone have DIY procedure to change this sensor for G13BB?
I will try to source for a sensor early next week, cross fingers it is hard to find. Will keep you all up to date
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I am unsure if there is a crankshaft position sensor on my jimny cos I cannot locate it. Where exactly should it be in the engine bay? Can I see it from front top of the engine bay?
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank for the post Jurek - my Jimny has the same problem and my mechanic wasn't finding any faults with his diagnostic equipment. I have now pointed him in the direction of the crank and/or cam sensor thanks to your investigation. Cheers.

Will post the outcome for others.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice to hear that it was hepful. In my case, after 2 years with new sensor, no single engine problem.

Good luck

Jurek

1 - 20 of 20 Posts