1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most of the time my speedo reads zero
then suddenly it begins to work perfectly
then it stops working again, and so on
i've removed instrument housing, and waggled the 2 big connectors on the back of it, and i've removed the speed sensor, sprayed it with WD40, and put it back
but still the same

Any ideas ????

·
Registered
616 Posts
speedo problems...

The drive cable may be broken. Every once in a while, the broken ends may mesh together for a moment causing the speedo needle to jump...

You should be able to replace the drive cable by disconnecting it at the Transfer case, pulling it out of it's drive sleeve then installing a new drive cable. You might also disconnect the cable from the cluster so that, if the broken piece does not pull out, the new cable will push the broken piece out of the sleeve at the cluster end.

That's my theory...

...and I hope it helps!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Us American Samuria owners forget that the world has moved on. The jimny uses an electronic signal from speed sensor to operate the speedometer. there have been several older posts that sensor failing. that is where I would start.
Squid
88 samurai - daily driver

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not much that can go wrong with the cable. I've only seen one rupture at the case end from rocks; the set screw sheared off and it wasn't easy to remove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What next

I've put in another speed sensor
But still the same
Is a second hand instrument cluster now the answer ?!

OR is wiring easy to check for breaks ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts