Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new to the site and to my new Jimny (2000 model with GB Engine).

Absolute love it, been doing some off roading and very impressed at what it can do with road tyres on.

Planning on doing a oil change soon and looking at the manual it recommends 10w/30 oil grade. However they dont even sell that grade of oil in Halfords and not seen any on ebay other than for motorcycles.

Wondered if people could tell me what they use and recommend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 88 Sammy that I bought yesterday. I got 5qts of Castrol GTX 10W-30 that I am going to use with a Fram Sure Grip Oil filter. I have a Weber 34 kit coming that will have a washable air filter, I'll just use K&N cleaner and oil on it. I am new here, and to Suzuki Samurais, but this ain't my first enthusiast type car, I used to be a VW Beetle Type I guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Unfortunatly in the UK l have not found Castrol GTX.

Closest l can find is 10w30 Castrol GPS which is for motorbikes.

I'll just keep looking or go with 10w40 which is very easy to obtain.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, we do change our oil. Motor oil, transfer case oil, transmission oil, differential oil, and even muffler oil.
Much of it depends on weather you are driving in, number of miles on engine, etc.
Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That said, if you need to ask a question like that you should read the owners manual or repair manual.
The Haynes manual I have recommends "API grade SF/CC SF/CD multigrade and fuel efficient oil"
Basically any decent oil will be fine, unless you want to start a brand war on the list.

Under viscosity (and I assume that is what you are asking) shows a chart describing each.
(SAE 5W-30 is what it preferred)

is this what you wanted?
SAE Viscosity Chart - FluidMasters Perth & WA
a quick google for: sae viscosity chart
showed what you want.

sorry to be a pill but no one in the UK has a quality rated oil?
How is your oil rated over there?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it all depends on the climate.

That viscosity chart that GASJR posted is location specific which is what you need to look at.

You need an oil that will still be viscous enough when the engine isn't running to stick to the engine parts so you don't dry start the engine, but thin enough in a new engine at running temperature not to break down and cause drag on the engine components, and thick enough on an older engine not to blow past looser seals on the rings and valves.

To do that you need to know what temperature your engine will be stored at when not running, how many miles are on your engine, and whether or not you have a high revving engine. For that info... best to stick to the charts from the professionals, since info from individual users will vary due to their location, application, and wear. (not accounting for the individuals with no knowledge of what they are doing) ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts