Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
somebody knows why in the jimny manual page 8--9 (407 from the pdf) it says that jimny atf oil tranmission capacity is 5.7 L?
Automatic transmission oil “SUZUKI ATF 3317” 5.7 L (10.0 Imp pt)
my jimny is automatic and it only takes 2 liters, its a ivory jimny like the green one in the photo at the top, is there somewhere else you gotta flush?
Regards

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
How did you arrive at it only takes 2 liters? Most automatic transmissions take a lot more than that, and more than 5.7 liters to be honest, but the Jimny is a small vehicle, so 5.7 liters is possible.

If 2 liters is what you were able to drain out of it, what you need to be aware is that with a torque converter, planetary gear automatic, which is what the Jimny has, you will never drain all the fluid out, a significant amount will remain in the torque converter, the valve body and the cooler circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you arrive at it only takes 2 liters? Most automatic transmissions take a lot more than that, and more than 5.7 liters to be honest, but the Jimny is a small vehicle, so 5.7 liters is possible.

If 2 liters is what you were able to drain out of it, what you need to be aware is that with a torque converter, planetary gear automatic, which is what the Jimny has, you will never drain all the fluid out, a significant amount will remain in the torque converter, the valve body and the cooler circuit.
i just drained the pan that was down and then added the atf in the same place where you measure with the dipstick, it only drained 2 and a half liters, the manual says 5.7L but i dont know where else is that kept, do you have to flush somewhere else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just drained the pan that was down and then added the atf in the same place where you measure with the dipstick, it only drained 2 and a half liters, the manual says 5.7L but i dont know where else is that kept, do you have to flush somewhere else?
ohh i just saw that i have to turn the car and through the return line from the tranmission cooler line drain it little by little and add little by little until its all flushed and replaced

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
ohh i just saw that i have to turn the car and through the return line from the tranmission cooler line drain it little by little and add little by little until its all flushed and replaced
Where are you getting this information from? Why are you attempting to replace the fluid in a vehicle that is less than three years old?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you getting this information from? Why are you attempting to replace the fluid in a vehicle that is less than three years old?
because all oils get dirty and it already has 60000km, also i want to keep it clean, why would i want the transmission to get bad, i also gear some grinding on low gears when is going uphill that i dont like

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
About 3 to 5 litres in the valve chest, transmission clutches and the majority in the torque converter.
My car holds 8 litres, I get about 2,2 out if it from the pan drain plug.
Refer to your service schedule in the owners handbook, 100,000 kns would be when I was even starting to think about a change of oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About 3 to 5 litres in the valve chest, transmission clutches and the majority in the torque converter.
My car holds 8 litres, I get about 2,2 out if it from the pan drain plug.
Refer to your service schedule in the owners handbook, 100,000 kns would be when I was even starting to think about a change of oil.
are there atf cooling lines in the new jimny 1.5 ivory?

regards

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
are there atf cooling lines in the new jimny 1.5 ivory?

regards
I would be surprised if there wasn't. I don't know of any automatic transmission that doesn't have cooler lines to a heat exchanger in the radiator, or to an external cooler.

The fact you are asking that question does concern me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts