Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just bought a Jimny for my partner last weekend. Great looking vehicle, but.....

driving to work today on a dry road with no obvious problem, the cars steering became uncontrolleable at a relatively slow speed. The vehicle is now being checked out.

Any ideas would be welcomed. Both my wife and two kids got one hell of a fright and this has taken the shine of a great new car.

Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmm...I have nothing to say. Tell us what the dealer says though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by jro4566@Sep 29 2004, 10:58 AM
Hmm...I have nothing to say. Tell us what the dealer says though!
Hopefully it is an obvious mechanical problem. I say obviously, because I dread there being no identifiable problem. Should know in the next few days.

paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the verdict from the Suzuki dealer is in.

The problem was caused by a snapped hard rod. I have know idea what it is, but apparently would immediately cause the car to lose steering control. They say this is not a "suzuki problem", in other words, not a warranty job. There was also enough damage to the inside rim of a tyre to require replacement.

The likely cause is a "foreign object" ranging from a stone to a half brick bouncing up and snapping the rod. I must emphasise that the vehicle was on a busy main road, in heavy traffic, and this incident, assuming they are right, would have happened at around 20 mph max.

The real concern is the casual attitude that "thank God it wasn't our fault". I would have thought they should be concerned that any slow speed event in normal road use could have such a huge effect. Had my wife been travelling at 60 mph.....

Or am i being paranoid and overreacting??

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Latest update. The car must have hit a block of some building material as it left marks on both diffs. There was also scuffing on the rear driver tyre and rim on the inside. All I can say is my wife and I did not hit such an object. The likelyhood is that the impact with this object bent the rear hard rod (the long black bar running between your suspension on both your front and rear). The car travelling round a roundabout eventually causing the bar to snap....so Please check under these cars before you buy them.

We will now write to Suzuki in spite of the fact we cannot prove we did not cause the damage.

To some extent I do feel better that a foreign object caused the damage rather than there being a design fault/failure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what you have described it must have been a sizable hard object that the car was driven over and the noise would have been very loud inside the vehicle and you would have felt the impact, and the effect of the steering being 'yanked' when it happened.
I can't imagine the driver being unaware of such a damaging impact.
Some time afterwards as you say, under stress the parts would have broken.

When the vehicles are relesed from the dealer they're checked, although I'm not sure they would have picked this up, it depends what they inspect.

Selling a vehicle in such a damaged condition is highly negligent, I suggest you ask the dealer for proof of pre-sale checks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by scotbot@Dec 18 2004, 03:26 PM
From what you have described it must have been a sizable hard object that the car was driven over and the noise would have been very loud inside the vehicle and you would have felt the impact, and the effect of the steering being 'yanked' when it happened.
I can't imagine the driver being unaware of such a damaging impact.
Some time afterwards as you say, under stress the parts would have broken.

When the vehicles are relesed from the dealer they're checked, although I'm not sure they would have picked this up, it depends what they inspect.

Selling a vehicle in such a damaged condition is highly negligent, I suggest you ask the dealer for proof of pre-sale checks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had a Jimny for the last 3 years and have been happy with it so if it had happened to me I would have got it fixed under the garentee and given the hell over it breaking . :angry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haveing just had mine MOT 'd yesterday and looking at said hard rods it would take some breaking and if you had hit something causeing it to break then you would have noticed . It would then seem that this was how it was sold to you from the dealer . It might be worth to seek leagal advice on the matter. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts