Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GEARBOX
My Jimny has just started to make horrible clunk clunk clunk noise when you start off in 1st, so far only on hill starts. If i take the clutch out really slow it doesnt do it, but if you use the clutch like normal it will make the horrendous noise.

The car has 2" lift and the service people at the dealers reckon its because of this. My friend said it could have been because the tyres that were on it were massive mud tyres, which i have recently downsized.

I bought the car in Nov & it only has 37,000 kms on it. So fairly new. The guy that owned it beforehand mainly took it off road and prob thrashed it, who knows he was a young bloke.

The service people reckon i may need a new gearbox & want to charge me $160 p/h labour & say it will prob cost me around $3,000 to fix & will prob need a new gearbox.

Does this sound right, does anyone know of a good mechanic that wont rip me off in Sydney, or what they think the problem may be?

POWERSTEERING
The car seems to have quite heavy powersteering, when parking it, I find it really heavy, not so bad when going round corners but more when driving slowly. It has A/T tyres on it.

The service people think it might be pump & cost about $1,000 to fix.

Thanks, Samantha

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I don't know a lot about the newer coily jimnys (I assume that's what you have) Having a 2 inch lift is probably not going to cause problems in your vehicles gearbox. If there was a 5 inch lift and they didn't do a proper lift (adjusting the control arms and drive angles) you could easily stress the ujoints on the drive shaft or the output shaft on the transfer case, causing a clunking. If the previous owner offroaded it a lot and had big tires on it, there's a good chance he bent the steering linkage or damaged a kingpin. You definitely need to find an honest mechanic to take a look at it for you. A Jimny is easy enough for a child to work on and if they can't give you a straight answer after looking it over, you need to go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, just shows there could def be other things going on. Will hopefully find a good mechanic to have a look at it. Its a 2005 model, not sure what kind that is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts