Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
When I drive my 2001 jimny the temp guage rises to 1/2 way up but I always get a hot smell from the engine when I get out of the car.

I checked coolant level in rad - its ok, top hose is warm bottom is luke warm.

No visible leaks.

Do they normally smell hot?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only had the car 2 weeks , its being driven in snow and now floods so I suppose some of the smell could be water splash on the engine.

Im just a little concerned as I dont know how hot these engines run and Im not sure whether to trust the temp guage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It could be water splashing on the exaust. Also you might have a small leak, coolant or oil that gets on a hot surface and burns off. Not sure of the factory temp on yours but most newer engines run in the 195 degree heat range or even higher. You might hook up a mechanical water temp gauge to get a more accurate reading. You could do this under hood as a short time check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for reply zooki, I think it may just be water splashing on something hot, dont think its coolant or oil.

Its freezing here in UK and im not sure how this will be effecting my amateur cooling system checks.

I just ran my jimny for 1/2 hour outside my house(its dark) to monitor what happens.

Top hose and top/middle of rad are hot

Bottom of rad and lower hose are cold.

If I squeeze the top hose I can feel it pressuring the bottom hose and vice versa so no blockage there.

Heater in car working fine.

And rad fan runs all the time , so maybe its cooling a bit to efficiently in the freezing temps causing the low temp in bottom of rad and lower hose.

Thx for anymore replies

·
Registered
182 Posts
And rad fan runs all the time , so maybe its cooling a bit to efficiently in the freezing temps causing the low temp in bottom of rad and lower hose.

Thx for anymore replies
I'm by no means very knowledgeable about the cooling system itself, so this may be way wrong. But shouldn't one of the hoses be a little cooler than the other since the anti-freeze has already passed through the radiator which helps to cool it, or no?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think U are right Wrenchwoman but my top hose is Very hot and the bottom cold....I would assume the bottom gets warmer to the touch than mine is getting.

Think I will have to get it checked by garage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can any jimny owners please tell me if their rad fan runs immediately after start up?

I think I may have a faulty fan switch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey jazon,
Again, not too knowledgeable abou this stuff, but what I've read so far is that the fan is not supposed to run all the time. And I think it also runs at two different speeds depending on idling or running down the highway. So if your lower is really cold and top is very hot, and the fan is constantly running, I wonder if you have some sort of blockage in the radiator that isn't allowing any, or enough coolant to exit the radiator so it's staying in the radiator, really hot. Hence, the fan constantly running? Good luck, I'd be curious to know what you find as it helps me understand better how things work.
Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had car checked by garage today and all is ok.

Lower hose is cold because rad fan runs all the time(viscous fan) and ambient temp is also very cold, mechanic says in summer lower hose will probably warm a little.

Fan and rad are quite big + fan is very efficient, if you hold hand nearby you can feel its cooling power.

The garage checked rad,stat ,hoses and waterpump all were ok.(and antifreeze)

Oh and smell was from when engine bay must have been steam cleaned with some sort of waxy cleaning agent that was burning off when engine got hot.

Im happy now, thx for all replies.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the update, now I gotta look up what a viscous fan is? :) And does it not have 2 speeds, or have I read wrong. And does it always stay on all the time?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
viscous fan means that it is not mechanically connected to the pully. The viscous coupling is a clutch mechanism that is temperature activated. When the temperature reaches a certain point, the fan engages the pully. When the engine cools, the fan disengages. It's just a single speed fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the update, now I gotta look up what a viscous fan is? :) And does it not have 2 speeds, or have I read wrong. And does it always stay on all the time?
ive had my jimny for 2 years its a 1999 and the temp has been fine..they do seem to run hot but seem to be ok

1 - 13 of 13 Posts