Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peoples having problems with my 2001 Jimny, when i put it in 4X4 high, its a manual box, it drives very rough then comes to a stop after about 50 to 80 metres like the brakes are on. the rear diff was changed just wondering if it could be the diff ratio or the box. Any ideas thanks:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Hey peoples having problems with my 2001 Jimny, when i put it in 4X4 high, its a manual box, it drives very rough then comes to a stop after about 50 to 80 metres like the brakes are on. the rear diff was changed just wondering if it could be the diff ratio or the box. Any ideas thanks:confused:

Here is a stupid question, are the front tire the same size as the rear?
If they are the same size, then it sounds like they used the wrong gear ratio.
Stop testing it like that or you are going to cause alot of damage...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the wheels and tyres are the same size and ive only done it once and it was very hard to get out of 4X4

·
Registered
616 Posts
Then it is the ratio... time to count teeth.
Yep, it sounds like you have a SEVERE case of drivetrain winding caused by different gear ratios in the front and rear differentials.

You need to determine the ring and pinion ratios of both differentials then find a set of gears to match the ratio that you want to keep.

Since us USA-ens dont have the opportunity to own a Jimny, I'm afraid Bill and I cannot address the technical side of how to find and install the proper ratioed ring and pinion gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts