Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just rebuilt the engine of my 2000 Jimny following a cylinder head core plug popping out (water filled the cylinder and bent the conrod!) I find that it now won't start.

I have fuel and spark getting through and no error codes. However, the compression does seem rather low even though the engine is cold... 50 PSI.

Is there anyone out there who might be kind enough to check the cold compression pressure on their Jimny and let me know what it is? ... and yes, I have checked the valve timing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
2000 jimny is going to be different than a samurai, but it should be close. Anything less than 100 and the cylinder is putting out poop for pressure. When you say cold, do you mean hand cranked but not running or do you mean startup temperature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. By "cold" I mean cranked with he starter motor but not started.

Although I double checked the valve timing marks, when I used a strobe it showed the ignition timing as being 90 degrees ATDC, which equates to 45 at the camshaft.

If this is due to the valve timing then it would mean that the inlet valve is still open for a lot of the compression stroke ... and account for the poor compression readings.

Trouble is, I lined up the mark on the crankshaft and the "E" on the camshaft pulley (nearest the outer edge) with the "V" on the valve cover, as per the manual. I just can't understand how the camshaft could be out by 45 degrees?

The crankshaft mark is pointing upwards when piston is at TDC, so that part seems to be OK.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Which engine do you have G13BB or M13A? All spark plugs should be removed and the throttle held wide open. Also on the coil packs disconnect the wires from the ECU to prevent the ignitors getting damaged.
You should also check that the crankshaft pulley and its Woodruff key are correctly seated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just seen that the camshaft pulley can fit two ways ... I didn't think that would be possible. I'm still trying to work out the difference in camshaft positioning but think this must be the reson for low compression and ignition timing being out.

Thanks to all for advice.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
G13BB is very similar to a G16B so this may be of use. I haven't set the valve timing on a Jimny so I can't say for sure that its the same. The Factory Service Manual can be downloaded form a few places on the net if you don't already have it.

http://www.kick-fix.com/t-belt/16-fast-belt-install.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks Rhinoman! The article that you gave me a link to says that NO manual mentions that there are two postions for the camshaft key to go. The pictures were very useful ..... it appears that I had chosen the wrong way!

That should cure my problem!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts