Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

A few months ago I became a member of the Jimny owners club. Bought a 2000 Jimny 1.3, nice looking little bugger & felt very proud of it!
All went well with Jimny until I took it on motorway, when at one point the engine started to behave erratically (turometer going up & down like crazy). Got off the motorway... long story short changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors (usual Jimny problem as I found out). 200 pounds down the drain.
Next trip on the motorway and the engine management light comes on. And doesn't want to came off. Went to the garage. Read the error, it was P0420 ( Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)). There was no clear resolve for this so the mechanics clean up the air intake, put some CataClean in the petrol tank and clear the ECU warning.
All good for a few days (didn't want to tempt faith so I kept Jimny out of the motorway, just going to work each day... an easy 10 miles trip), until I started to notice a high bass noise when revving the car to >2000 RP in load - this sounded like the exhaust develop a break. Ufff... ok, maybe I need to visit the mechanic again. Also a slight loss of power noticeable when the road was climbing a bit and I was in 4th or 5th gear... like hitting a REV limiter (but the revs were only 2500 RPM).
Didn't quite make it though... on Thursday evening Jimny again losing power at "high" RPM, so I decided to push the gas pedal, to give it more juice... the effect was catastrophic! Instead of power I've got exactly the opposite: harder loss of power, like poor Jimny was choking himself, speed dropped, revs as well, although I was pushing the gas pedal... like poor Jimny was dying.
So I relief the pedal, took it more slowly but now the problem was manifesting at 2000RPMs, and it became worst! After 3-4miles I had problems just going away from traffic lights. Then it barely moved and then I didn't have any choice but to pull over and wait for the recovery truck & Jimny got home on a platform. Not very good for its or mine confidence!
Yesterday, tried to start it and take it to the garage. No luck. Engine started then choked and died. Eventually the mechanic came & read the codes. And there were a few:
P0108 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit High Input
P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0110 IAT Circuit Malfunction
(in this sequence)
He wasn't able to start the car either (same choking of death), took a look at the air intake (OK), air filter (clean) and at the sensors then concluded that I need to change the airflow meter sensor (MAF) and the mainfold (MAP) sensor.
So the car is in front of my house, not moving an inch now, and my only option is to buy these 2 sensors and hope this will solve the problem.
Now that I've read a bit more looks like Jimnys don't have a MAF sensor, but only the MAP one?! And a IAT sensor.

Any ideas? Should I go shopping for these? Don't want to think how much will cost...

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to put in all the details of how this fault evolved. Maybe somebody went through the same painful experience with the little bugger.

Thanks for reading this far,
Radu

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It sounds like your catalytic converter has collapsed and is blocking the exhaust, I would check that out first before worrying about the other codes. Also check the wiring to the sensors and if you have a voltmeter check the voltages. Try and find a mechanic who diagnoses by examination and not just off the code reader, throwing parts at it can get very expensive very quickly. There is no MAF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... This could explain it, but how can I check that? Can I do it myself? The problem is I cannot take the car to the garage and the only mechanic I know is this guy.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You could try loosening the bolts on the input to the cat cat and seeing if it will rev. If you can read the sensor voltages with the engine on but not running then they can be checked against the values in the FSM, post them here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rhinoman. Unfortunately I'm a disaster at mechanics and engineering. I've tried to do what you said but I don't have the tools & skills to play with the exhaust. So I can only hope I can find a mechanic willing to check this for me, is an easy job either.
But, if the exhaust is blocked, why all the OBD errors indicate problems with the air intake?
Second, let's say we found the catalyst converter broken... can I just remove it and run the car without it until I replace it? Is there a risk of damaging the engine/ECU if I do that for a couple of days/weeks?
A new catalyst will break my wallet, seems buying a Jimny is not one of my brightest ideas. :(

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm guessing. Your first code was for the catalytic converter, you also said that when it went it sounded like a problem with the exhaust. If the exhaust is blocked then there won't be any flow through the inlet mainfold which could maybe cause the new codes. If you could find someone who knows how to use a voltmeter then you could check the sensors are OK. For two sensors to go out suddenly like that I would expect a wiring problem rather than the sensors themselves being faulty.
Whereabouts are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in NW London, Queen's Park area.
I agree is kind of strange that the sensor(s) are suddenly broken. More strong theory is they are correct. I didn't know that a blocked exhaust sists the airflow through the intake mainfold. So if somebody sticked a banana in my exhaust, the car won't start... which I saw in some movies :)
I've found a repair manual for Jimny on the web and reading through that looks like problems wirth the MAP sensor could lead to catalyst converter problems.
The problem now is the mechanics cannot look at the exhaust unless I take the car to the garage. Ufff... again! :(

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You're not that far from me, I'm out and about on Wednesday, I could swing by Weds eve. and take a look at it if you like. PM me.
Cheers
James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts