Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 250.000 on the clock

When engine is hot, and we engine break, by just taking foot off the speeder, then engine misfires 2 to 5 times, when we acceleratea again.

It only happens at low rpm

The engine has normal gas usage

When flooring it, the engine pulls like hell ;-) nothing wrong there.

Both oxygen sensor are changed and ground connection, between engine and chassis, is changed.

Any advice to what to try next?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,766 Posts
Is this engine EOBD or OBDII compliant, what Yr and market ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this engine EOBD or OBDII compliant, what Yr and market ??
OBDII, 2010, EU (RW416)
M16 engine
Have scan tool for my phone. Shows no errors.
Engine light is off.

Further testing this evening:

Compression 13 bar on all cylinders.
Vaccum 23,4 warm engine idle
Same values as at 46000km
4 new spark plugs

Ran the car in 3 gear 150km/h for a while - any sod is now on the highway ;-)

Slow driving in 5th gear for a while and then step on it, then we can make milkshake. (I used to drive diesel)

Above 2500rpm all is fine.

It all seems as nothing is wrong - but..... something is.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Since you have a scanner, record the O2 @ idle, 2000 and 3000 rpm, also the fuel trims at the same RPM.

Post in graph form...

Check the EGR for proper operation (closes fully) at idle..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you have a scanner, record the O2 @ idle, 2000 and 3000 rpm, also the fuel trims at the same RPM.

Post in graph form...

Check the EGR for proper operation (closes fully) at idle..
Thank You for the hints.

Have done cleaning the EGR with spray and used a "service clean" spray too. Finally i added some gas additives, to the tank.

Efter a good drive, the problems was solved.

Never imagined a bit off cleaning could solve that many problems.

Car dealer said to me, that i had to drive hard sometimes, to keep the engine running at its best. Looks like he was right. I tend to drive with low RPM, and do city driving in 5th gear. Maybe i should change habbits.

The M16 engine is know to last a very long time, so a little hard driving, will not hurt.

Never had any problems before. I always use Castrol Edge 10W60 engine oil, and change at 10000km. Every 5th oilchange, i use engine flush, and add ceramic engine treatment.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
10W60 is way to heavy an oil ro run in a Suzuki M16 engine.. recommended 5W20 to 10W30 depending on ambient temperature..

BTW: those were not hints (guesses), but recommended diagnostics...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 10W60 demands carefull driving, in the winter time, until the engine is warm. But on the freeway, the radio do not need to be turned up so high, when using heavy oil.

Noise = wear and thick oil = less noise - the fact that the engine have the same compression and vaccum, as when it was new, speaks for the 10W60.

I know i am on my own, regarding the oil - but i belive that thick oil stays longer in the bearings, under load.

M16 engines are known for ratteling noise at cold start. My engine does only rattle for a short time.

I think the recommendation about the thinner oil, is to get more km/l. But the downside is higher wear.

Just my opinion :cool:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I use 0W20 and 5W20, my engine has 268K km, and has no noise or loss of compression...

Thicker oil requires more time to reach the bearing surfaces and could cause additional cold start wear, but each to his own...

Glad you have it running well..

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
The 10W60 demands carefull driving, in the winter time, until the engine is warm. But on the freeway, the radio do not need to be turned up so high, when using heavy oil.

Noise = wear and thick oil = less noise - the fact that the engine have the same compression and vaccum, as when it was new, speaks for the 10W60.

I know i am on my own, regarding the oil - but i belive that thick oil stays longer in the bearings, under load.

M16 engines are known for ratteling noise at cold start. My engine does only rattle for a short time.

I think the recommendation about the thinner oil, is to get more km/l. But the downside is higher wear.

Just my opinion :cool:
10w-60 is way too thick, you will have increased wear on start and insufficient lubrication during warm up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts