Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000, Chevy Tracker, 4dr, automatic, 4wd, 2.0L 62k miles
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I'm about to be swapping a j23 into my 2000 tracker, after having either a rod bearing or main bearing go out on me. I've seen many posts where people have swapped the engines with no concerns, but I also see a few reports of there being issues with automatic trans trucks, having sustained high rpm (such as passing someone on the freeway) misfires due to the difference in teeth on the crank tone ring.

The j23 has 36teeth on the tone ring.
My j20a has 6 teeth on the tone ring.

The Suzuki service manual flow charts for engine logic simply show the crank sensor as being a verification of engine running, and misfire detection only, not being used in any way for timing, injection, or anything control wise.

But still, the difference is concerning and I figured I'd ask here if anyone has personal experience with a j23 swapped Vitara/tracker with an auto, who likes to run up to the limiter at times.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
I think You will need the ecm for the j23, (im assuming yours is an auto) otherwise it's not going to run correctly and will bring up codes as it will be seeing too many pulses compared to the cmp sensor . Others will confirm. Theres a few other sensors that are different too I believe
Not sure if the loom needs to be changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found a couple more threads on here since posting, from those who have done the swap, each with an automatic, and it seems like the general consensus is that is is not a problem at all.

However I'm going to keep doing some my research as it is quite confusing.

The tone ring is on the crank, but the service part number to replace the crank from Suzuki, for the j20 and j23 are the exact same. It shows the j23 crankshaft part number as superceding the j20 crank number. If the tone ring is removable, I'll try to swap them.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Tone wheel i think is cast and machined integral to the crank.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
I stand corrected, if its removable then that makes life easier. Not a simple job, but at least easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after staying up till 4am researching last night, and most of the morning continuing to do so, I got in touch with a gentleman from another forum (pirate) who gave me his number. He had done the swap from a j20a to j23 in a 2001 tracker, using a 2006 aerio j23.

He did not change tone rings. He said there are no adverse effects other than, he can't detect cylinder specific misfires. He has an identical truck with a factory j20 still, and his j23 swapped one. Same ecm part and calibration numbers on each.

He puts a spark plug with a removed ground electrode in, and on the j20 it will throw a p030x for whatever cylinder it is installed on and misfiring, but the j23 will show a p0300 random/multiple misfire no matter the cylinder.

I don't know if there is any electrical difference between the 2000 and 2001 as far as logic, but according to the FSM it should be identical will update as I proceed.

When I break down the j20 I'm removing, I'll attempt to remove the tone ring. If it does come apart, I'll advise on how to do it!

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,254 Posts
I believe the crank has to be removed to work on the tone ring

1 - 9 of 9 Posts