Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Our SX4 is a 2009 with J20A engine and auto transmission.
Does a J20B also fit?
Does it bolt up all the same to engine mounts and bellhousing of the auto?
Does it use the same ECU?
Reason to ask is out J20A is using oil and now needs new timing chain guides etc. I can get a J20B with only 65,000klms on it at a great price.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Hi.
Our SX4 is a 2009 with J20A engine and auto transmission.
Does a J20B also fit?
Does it bolt up all the same to engine mounts and bellhousing of the auto?
Does it use the same ECU?
Reason to ask is out J20A is using oil and now needs new timing chain guides etc. I can get a J20B with only 65,000klms on it at a great price.
I know they have a different head, different profile cams, different cam sensor, you may or may not have hydraulic valve lifters, the intake manifold is different (plastic) on the newer motor and a different shape as well from memory. I am not sure if you can fit the A manifold to the B heads, I suspect they are different bolt patterns.

I think (but not sure) that the block is the same. You will need to swap the head across (which means doing cam chains as well) as I don't think the J20B stuff works on the J20A ECU. No doubt if i'm wrong someone will correct me on this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they have a different head, different profile cams, different cam sensor, you may or may not have hydraulic valve lifters, the intake manifold is different (plastic) on the newer motor and a different shape as well from memory. I am not sure if you can fit the A manifold to the B heads, I suspect they are different bolt patterns.

I think (but not sure) that the block is the same. You will need to swap the head across (which means doing cam chains as well) as I don't think the J20B stuff works on the J20A ECU. No doubt if i'm wrong someone will correct me on this.
Our Manifold is also plastic - quite a large affair with the long and short runners and switching valve. But I have no idea if its the same one as a J20B or the same bolt pattern.
If I have to change heads then I may as well overhaul this J20A. I was looking for a shortcut given the J20B engine is available to me at a great price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts