Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man in Indonesia has the header for the J20a.
Do you think they will fit the J18a with minimal mod at the down pipe??
Mine is cracked at the #4 pipe and can accelerate only at 55 at the most!

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
The J18a and the J20a engines use a common cylinder head - a J20a header will bolt on to a J18a head - YOU need to compare the lower end of the header to what YOU currently have and then decide if YOU can get the modifications YOU need done.

The header in the pictures does not have a flange at the lower end, so you're going to have to get a custom pipe made.

Looking at the pictures, the O2 bung is not in the collector, it's in the #3 pipe, it only sees the exhaust gasses from that one cylinder.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The J18a and the J20a engines use a common cylinder head - a J20a header will bolt on to a J18a head - YOU need to compare the lower end of the header to what YOU currently have and then decide if YOU can get the modifications YOU need done.

The header in the pictures does not have a flange at the lower end, so you're going to have to get a custom pipe made.

Looking at the pictures, the O2 bung is not in the collector, it's in the #3 pipe, it only sees the exhaust gasses from that one cylinder.
Yes I asked him about the flange at the lower end and this is what he said "According to current regulations, for overseas shipments there are problems in the delivery process because shipping costs are calculated from the volume (length X width X height) and not from the weight of the item".

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He promised me to sell it to me cheaply! And I think I could pay something to mod them to fit at the lower end.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding the O2 port at the #3 pipe, it makes any problems??

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It certainly has the potential to exacerbate O2 sensor related problems
Can I ask him to move them or can the welder move them to all 4 cylinders collector when making the lower end pipe??

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Yes I asked him about the flange at the lower end and this is what he said "According to current regulations, for overseas shipments there are problems in the delivery process because shipping costs are calculated from the volume (length X width X height) and not from the weight of the item".
Having been in the freight forwarding business in a past life, I understand that shipping costs are done according to whatever is greater: volume or weight. However, considering the size of the flange at the end of the manifold, I cannot see how the size of a flange would affect volume in any way.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having been in the freight forwarding business in a past life, I understand that shipping costs are done according to whatever is greater: volume or weight. However, considering the size of the flange at the end of the manifold, I cannot see how the size of a flange would affect volume in any way.
Bex I did send him this pic, saying your item should have been like this!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Something is amiss here, when you compare the two photos. Look at where they’ve cut the manifold, as opposed to where the weld is in post #9 for the flange.…???

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
It's not that the flange has been cut off the header, they are two different designs, the header in the first two pictures appears to have equal length runners, the one in the third picture does not, and I've just noticed that neither one has provision for EGR, a US market Sidekick Sport is going to be an OBD2 vehicle, you're likely to run into CEL issues if the EGR is non functional.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something is amiss here, when you compare the two photos. Look at where they’ve cut the manifold, as opposed to where the weld is in post #9 for the flange.…???
That is my sample 1.8 header that I get from other pages for him to see his header does not have the lower end pipe only. Today I get the answer from him promising to move the 02 sensor port from the #3 pipe to the all 4 cylinder collector point. We will see what it looks like!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not that the flange has been cut off the header, they are two different designs, the header in the first two pictures appears to have equal length runners, the one in the third picture does not, and I've just noticed that neither one has provision for EGR, a US market Sidekick Sport is going to be an OBD2 vehicle, you're likely to run into CEL issues if the EGR is non functional.
Thanks for addressing the issue of EGR! I also tell him about this. The sample header from other page also does not any EGR provision??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Sadly, the part number for your exhaust manifold (14111 77EA0) is discontinued and not even available with Megazip. Aqua has talked about the possibility of welding the manifold. Do you know any really GOOD welders near you??

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sadly, the part number for your exhaust manifold (14111 77EA0) is discontinued and not even available with Megazip. Aqua has talked about the possibility of welding the manifold. Do you know any really GOOD welders near you??
Cast iron will break again. They just do not hold!

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Not necessarily true, if you can find a REALLY good welder. I live in farm country. The farmers here who know what they’re doing, weld cast iron all the time on their machinery. Aqua on this forum (top notch welder!!) has done this, as well. Do an ‘advanced search’ on ‘weld cast iron’ specifically looking for Aqua posts. He indicates how to do it. Post #11 here is an example:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not necessarily true, if you can find a REALLY good welder. I live in farm country. The farmers here who know what they’re doing, weld cast iron all the time on their machinery. Aqua on this forum (top notch welder!!) has done this, as well. Do an ‘advanced search’ on ‘weld cast iron’ specifically looking for Aqua posts. He indicates how to do it. Post #11 here is an example:
Thanks. What oven, electric, does he use??

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I don’t know if the answer to your question is indicated in any of the posts where he’s discussing this, but if not, PM him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts