Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a early 88 & the trans leaks just a little so have not really worried about it much. The SAMMY sat for a while & when I fired it up the other day the trans was VERY STIFF & LOCKED UP. After really jamming it in & out of whatever gear I could find I ran it around a little. It did loosen just a bit but not much. Thinking it might be a little low on oil, went to check today. The plug is totally rounded now & when I could get on it I was twisting the entire drive train !! It never broke loose. SO NOW the questions :
1) any ideas on the TIGHT<TIGHT>TIGHT gears?? Is it possible that being low on oil would cause this ?? There is no strange noise coming from the Trans.
2) Is there any other way I can get oil it the trans With Out Removing It ?? Can I remove the shifting lever (the stick shift) & poor oil into it ? Would it make it into the gear box ??

ANY & ALL HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Peace out...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Conveniently you can add fluid through the shifter hole, you will have to look up the right amount, it escapes me at the moment. While the shifter is off you can have a look at the shift sheet for damage/wear. That could make selecting a gear difficult.

If you are going to change gear oil I'm going to highly recommend real GL-4
Some auto parts stores still have the sta-lube stuff in a GL4 but if not dealerships usually carry it for older cars. Ford part # XT-4-QGL.
Ford has it as an additive but its just plain ol' GL4 and my Sami has never shifted better, even better than the synthetic stuff.

Enjoy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts