Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some beer Friday night and it cranked just fine today I went out to go to the auto parts store and it turns over but acts like it is out of gas. I have not even tried to figure it out yet I was work on another project today. I did have a Bronco II that did this before but that was from a tree rat chewing the fuel line although the Sammy is parked in the same place. Just wondering if this is a common problem for Sammies?
1992 Samurai 2wd
new clutch
new 2" exhaust and Header

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
does it cough or sputter at all? does it try to start up or is it just cranking?

check the fuel lines... tree rats don't descriminate between foreign and domestic fuel lines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had similar problem that turned out to be the fuel pump... will run fine then turn off without any warning....
I've had both the stock pump and the electric pump in my 87 replaced (with used pumps) and am back to the original... still have the problem every once and awhile so I've gotten real good at turning the engine back on while coasting down the road...
I think I have also read other similar posts somewhere around here...

Am I correct in assuming the tree rats you speak of are squirrels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No it does not sputter at all. Yeah I will check all the lines I know they don't care.

Yes tree rats are squirrels that name fits them better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you checked the timing belt? could have broke or teeth may have let go. if that seems ok check to see if the TBI injector is firing and you have spark at the plugs. if no fuel test for pressure and flow at the supply line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a brand new timing belt. Installed less then 2 weeks ago.

What is the fuel pressure that I need incase it is the fuel pump and I want to go to a universal pump.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just because it is new does not mean something didnt go wrong.
I am not familiar with the exact fuel press for your vehicle but I would guess 30-50 psi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went through and checked everything out today and it looks like the fuel pump just died. I have will have a new one to put in tomorrow so it should be back on the road soon.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok new fuel pump is installed but it still will not start. The new pump is working and I am getting fuel at the throttle body but it is stopping at the injector so it is bad or the fuse is. The problem is I can not find where the fuse is can someone help?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Rock auto. You can get a refurbished one for about 100 dollars. A new one is between 200 and 300 dollars depending on the brand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok so I ordered a fuel injector from partstrain.com they had the best price I and when I ship back the core I will get a $42 refund. I guess I will find out if it fits when it gets in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have done a little research and it looks like there are a few other vehicles that have close to the same injector just the electrical connectors are different. I have a Geo one coming in to my local O'Relly's that they had in stock to look at before I buy it. Hopefully it will but close enough and I only have to modify the connector.
1995-1997 Suzuki Swift Fuel Injectors
1991-1995 Suzuki Sidekick Fuel Injectors (SOHC 8 Valve)
Geo Metro

·
Registered
44 Posts
The inj could be bad but if it is not getting the signal to open nothing will come out. I am not certain on that model but when the key is on you chould have power all the time at one wire and the other will provide ground from the ecu to open. the make leds called noids that plug into the harness and flash when the eng is cranked[if things are working]. if not there is something wrong in the ecu or sensors.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
from what I understand you can hook up a throttle body injector from a 91-94 sidekick or tracker with an 8 valve 1.6 liter engine. You would need the TPS too. From what I've read, the samurai TPS doesn't connect over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok so I got feed up and have not messed with the thing until today. I ended up getting a Metro injector and wired it in. I got no where. It is still won't start. My mechanic buddy came over today and played with it no luck. He is wondering how much voltage should be going to the injector?

[email protected] My mechanic buddy said I am not getting any constant power just small amount here and there.

We looked at the what we think is the ecm and there is some rust on the bottom of it so I am going to take it out check the board inside and go from there. After reading a few things it really sounds like the capacitors on the ecm went like all of these thing do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts