Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so forgive me if I mess up. I have a 2wd Geo tracker with no engine. I also have 2 Isuzu diesel engines. A 1.8 and a 2.2. I would like to install 1 of these engines in the tracker. I would like to communicate with anyone who has done this before. I know I will have to fab motor mounts and cross member and modify the drive shaft. I'm sure that there will be many details that I'm not aware of. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil Cottingham, Centreville , Al.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
A lot of good fabricators, backyard or professional, could get the Isuzu in place. But most installers have issues is the control system... as is electronic, computers, sensors and wiring. Some earlier versions of diesel engines are mechanically controlled so are a LOT simpler for swaps... just less efficient than the computer controlled versions. (What type are your spare engines?)

How much physical size difference is there between the original engine and the Isuzu? If much longer, you might have radiator issues, if much wider, exhaust or steering linkage issues.

I am assuming you are using the transmission from the Isuzu, avoiding the bell housing issues. Does the trans have a transfer case? Is the front drive shaft on the right or the left? Does the trans need a computer and wiring? Interfacing with the engine computer is sometimes an issue. (Another reason to use the engine and trans from the same application.... if possible.)

Something I have been looking at is the 4 speed autos (A44DE) used in the 4 door TracKicks. The basic transmission is used in MANY different rigs, some are NOT computer controlled. It also has a separate bell housing. You might find a bell housing that will mate to your engine and this trans. Then you should be able to us the same transfer case used in the 4 door TracKick. You could select the actual transmission on if you want computer or not. Not sure what you would need to do about automatic shift points to work with a diesel engine's torque curves. Just go with a manual???

Bottom line, you should be able to get the Isuzu in place. getting it work, might be an issue, depending on your capabilities. (Or the capabilities you can hire.)

OBTW: I just noticed the "2wd" but left the transfer case issues in for future readers with 4x4's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, Thanks for the reply. I may not have given enough details. Both of the engines I have are mechanical operated (no computer). Any electrical issues related to the body will be addressed by rewiring. The tracker is 2wd so transfer case and front shaft will not be an issue. My main concern is the oil pan and radiator . I know there are people out there who have done this swap. If I could talk with them they could help me avoid mistakes they encountered . I'm not trying to make a first class vehicle out of this. Just a project to save fuel and something my grandson can help me with. I also plan on playing around with alternative fuels. Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts